Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling ugly

Options
  • 03-12-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I'm 4 months pregnant and feeling so down about how I look. I've always had really good skin, but have been breaking out a lot, make up seems to just melt off my face, I got my hair done and I hate it, and none of my jeans fit me anymore (big skinny jeans fan).

I know its all very trivial, and I really am over the moon and excited about having a baby, but everytime I look in the mirror I get upset.
    Is it normal to feel so **** so early on? I can't imagine what I'll be like at 9 months if I'm getting upset already!

I feel like a dick head making such a petty complaint but I work in an industry with a lot of focus on appearances and everyday I go home feeling depressed and disgusting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Everything changes when you're pregnant unfortunately. Invest in some good maternity skinny jeans (I've heard Penneys are doing maternity skinny jeans). Your complexion might have changed so you might need a different foundation for during pregnancy, pop into one of the counters and see what they suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Your skin will dry out a lot faster in pregnancy (baby sucks up all that water!). My skin reacts more to products when it's dry. Best thing really is loads of water, and no tea or other diuretics... but you end up peeing a lot then as well. Try a few moisturisers if you can in a chemist or at counters. I tried loads of the BT ones (except creme de la mer, no way could I afford that one!) and I reacted to the whole lot of them. The only one I'm not reacting to at the moment is the REN sensitive range. http://www.renskincare.com/c/facial-skincare_for-sensitive-skin.

You can get jeans expanders which will work for a while with your own jeans, http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/maternity-waist-extender , but you need to wear long tops over them as well. I HATE maternity clothes with a passion, so I feel your pain.

Your hair is about to get AWESOME! Seriously, it grows super-fast, stops falling almost completely and gets thick and shiny. I don't know if it's the prego vitamins, or just hormones, but I'm at six months now and it's in ridiculously good condition. Give the hair a few weeks and it will be mega.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

January wrote: »
    Everything changes when you're pregnant unfortunately. Invest in some good maternity skinny jeans (I've heard Penneys are doing maternity skinny jeans). Your complexion might have changed so you might need a different foundation for during pregnancy, pop into one of the counters and see what they suggest.

Penneys do skinny maternity jeans for €15 they are real comfy I have a pair! They are like normal jeans but are like jeggings on the top and don't have big maternity band that are on a lot of maternity jeans. (They only have a small one!) In fact my non pregnant friend was considering buying them for those days you are a bit bloated!!!!! Lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

pwurple wrote: »

You can get jeans expanders which will work for a while with your own jeans, http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/maternity-waist-extender , but you need to wear long tops over them as well. I HATE maternity clothes with a passion, so I feel your pain.

I just bought one of those and have used it a few times its great to be able to wear my ordinary clothes. I also bought some bump bands in newlook (http://www.newlook.com/shop/maternity/shop-department/maternity-3-pack-navy-bump-bands_240639141)
    perfect for going over the waist extender to keep everything covered up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I know how you feel! I was going to a wedding last week, and I was feeling like such a lump, covered in spots! I was so tempted to stay at home in my pajamas & watch the Toy Show. I'm in a transition stage before having an actual bump, where I just look fat. And to add to that, I've a deep scar from an old operation on my stomach which makes it look really lumpy.

So, in a flap the day before the wedding, I went out and bought a new dress. I know it sounds silly - but the dress looks fab and I felt great afterwards. It wasn't that expensive and I can get the Christmas out of it as it's nice and stretchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

COMPLETELY understand.

I never had great skin, but my Vichy dermablend always covered up the worst of it and went on nice and evenly. Now, not a hope. My best bet of looking normal is to go au natural - but the cystic acne I have is horrid looking! It's all over my chest now as well, and will only be a matter of time before I get it on my back :(
    To top it off I've put on half a stone in the past 9 weeks being pregnant, so none of my jeans fit and any snug fitting tops just show me as fat. At least if I was showing, it wouldn't look so awfully like I was pretending to be a smaller size than I was! :o
    Finished college this day next week and have a good month off, give me a chance to get into a good routine with washing and try out a few products to see if I can pick things up before I go back in February.

Can attest to the hair though, I've always struggled to grow mine, dyed it literally the day before I found out I was pregnant and 9 weeks later it's a whopping 2.5 inches longer!!!!!!! :eek:
    Unfortunately my underarm and leg hair is growing at a similar pace :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

OP as you are only in the early stages, you may start to get that famous "glow" in the later stages!

I was sick 24/7 on my pregnancy so I looked like crap all the time and didn't particularly care either, but I do know that my skin changed as the pregnancy progressed, sometimes it was dry others it was full of spots, so I don't know if its worth using different creams or whatnot but if you feel you need them then they're worth a shot! Without knowing how your body will react from month to month I'd say try not to get hung up on how it is now. You might look and feel great next week or month. Everyone told me the second trimester is easier but I know I found it harder so you just never know. And the hormones don't help with how you deal with it all! Some days you're prepared for anything the day throws at you and others you'll cry at the drop of a hat and feel dreadful! So maybe in a couple of days or weeks you might feel a little less down about it all.

I hated the stage where I was fatter but not yet pregnant looking- I felt hideous actually, but I stayed in my size eight trousers throughout as I didn't put on any weight with the sickness, it was all baby and she was very neat at that so I didn't have the hassle of trying to find clothes- I don't envy you! Next, Dorothy Perkins and Zara all do nice maternity wear though.

Congratulations on your baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I hear you Emz! I got into such a funk last week, I had to go out to a casual function and none of my clothes fit. I have always been slim, so I am finding it difficult to deal with the extra weight (doesn’t stop me eating though LOL!) It just sort of hit me then that my body might never be the same again, even after the baby, I might not get my slim figure back and while I know it sounds vain and shallow, that really upset me. Then I went to the function and spoke to a friend who has decided to run her first marathon. I couldn’t help feeling childishly jealous as I have run a couple of marathons and again, the realisation hit me that I may never have the time to run another again and commit the time to the training involved. Also, my skin – while never great - looks extra crap and my hair feels lank and lifeless. I know all this sounds so petty, and I am absolutely thrilled to be having my first baby, but I think a combination of hormones and the realisation that NOTHING will ever be the same again can get you down a bit.

I feel much better this week and am beginning to embrace my little bump (I’m only 15 weeks) so I agree with the others, treat yourself to a nice pair of maternity skinnies or a new dress. Look how some celebrities totally rock pregnancy, there’s no reason why your style should have to change just because your body is. Go for a facial if the funds will stretch or get a consultation and a new foundation at one of the beauty counters. I think it’s totally natural to feel a little down with all the changes going on in our bodies. You’re certainly not alone, so don’t feel guilty for having a rant. That’s what we’re here for

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

I was the exact same but in the last 2 months my skin got so clear and my hair was in such good condition. As I got bigger I felt better about my body because I looked properly pregnant instead of being in the blobby stage :D im sure u will too..i remember having to go to a wedding at 4 months.. i felt disgusting. Crap skin and didnt necessarily look pregnant but just loke id gained weight. Good news though is that youre due in the summer so plenty of nice weather like last year hopefully so that u can do plenty of walking to get back to your pre pregnany weight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Totally hear ya. My skin was a disaster right through pregnancy and still after the birth until I went back on the pill. Though some women's skin recovers faster.

As above, I saw maternity skinny jeans in Penneys. If you get some well-fitting clothes (maybe with some xmas vouchers?) that will make a huge difference. I think as well you'll start to feeling like you're looking good when your bump pops. I think preggers women look great with their bump out!

Also, would you consider getting your hair re-done so it's closer to how you want it? Again, I think having the hair style & colour you want makes a big difference to your confidence. My hair didn't change during pregnancy, it was already quite full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

Thanks for all the replies, feeling a good bit better the last couple of weeks.

Simple changes made a big difference, using sudo cream on the spots has helped a good bit as well as using oil free moisturiser/primer/foundation as well as correctors and concealer.

Got some maternity jeans from Penny's and another pair from Topshop. Living in them now. And just ordered a good few Asos maternity items. (The sale is well worth a look!)

And I'm finally looking pregnant rather than just fat. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Great to hear, enjoy your Christmas!

Advertisement