Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood burnin stove vs Open fireplace

Options
  • 03-12-2013 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    Just a question I have regarding Wood Burning Stoves (WBS) vs Open fireplaces (OFs).
    I'm doing some research on the subject, need more info. Currently in the house is an OF which heats just the room its in. What I would like to know is the cost of installing a WBS with a back boiler. A sub question attached if anyone knows the answer is, what kw rating said stove would have to be to heat 7 rads properly.
    A generic answer on possible quotations I could receive for such a job would be grand. A link or 2 to a suitable stove and I'd be beaming!
    Cheers,
    P.C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

I'm looking in to something similar but it all comes down to size of room you want to heat and size of rads.

I have a small house (2 bed). Have 7 single panel rads but will turn the one off in the sitting room when the fire is on so needs to heat 6. Am looking at 12kw stoves.

Had one guy out to price up the job so far but will ring a couple more. Haven't heard back with an estimate yet though. Should hear in the next 2-3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wolfeyesperrin

Cheers Sept, would be interested in hearing your quote if you wouldn't mind posting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 auzworld

There is an alternative to a stove system if you wanted to keep your fireplace .... Its works out alot cheaper than a stove installation ... www.turboflame.ie

A fireplace heat exchanger combined with their room to room heat transfer sys
    tem ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

auzworld wrote: »
    There is an alternative to a stove system if you wanted to keep your fireplace .... Its works out alot cheaper than a stove installation ... www.turboflame.ie

A fireplace heat exchanger combined with their room to room heat transfer sys
    tem ...

I would be wary of any company that cannot use a spell checker before publishing their website. Also wildly unsubstantiated claims about performance should also ring alarm bells.

Advertisement