Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birch Ply Finish

Options
  • 03-12-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello all, someone may be able to help me out.

I'm making a play table from 18mm birch ply for a toddler and I would like to achieve a finish on it similar to the photo attached. Something along like the coloured stain on the chair seats & backs, i would like the grain to remain visible.

il_570xN.250806975.jpg

I have never stained birch ply before but understand it can be troublesome if not sealed first? Is this correct? I would also like the finish to be non-toxic so if food comes into contact it is not a problem.

blurb on the finish is as follows "The wood on the colored top, seat, and back are given a paint treatment that allows the grain to show through. Top coated with a durable water based clear acrylic."

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm not sure about sealing it first if you did the stain may not penetrate the wood grain, on boats I add the stain first then coat and seal with epoxy then a few coats of marine varnish this gives a very tough finnish but I'm not sure about it benign non-toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭UrsusMaritimus

Makes sense Fergal, would a thinned coat of acrylic or water based coloured paints give the colour with a polyurethane varnish over it to protect and make more waterproof and durable? Im just not sure what steps would be involved so any guidance greatly accepted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Use a water based stain if you are going to varnish you can get them in a large range of colours including red,blue and green if it is going to be left out side I would coat it in epoxy resin making sure the sides get a few coats to seal them. The marine varnish is a bit tougher than other varnishes and has good UV protection also you can "with a bit of work" sand it down to a very smooth finnish, I build up 5+ coats and sand it with wet paper going from 400, 800,1000, 1500,2000 then car rubbing compound and wax.

If you know someone with a spray booth it might be worth thinking about getting it lacquered save a lot of work.

something long these lines for stain
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/chestnut-spirit-stain-trial-packs

followed by 5+ coats of
    http://www.joemckenna.ie/ronseal-yacht-varnish-satin-1l?keyword=varnish

sorry for questions, wood finishing is not my thing. I have however access to spray equipment, would the lacquer require less coats?

It wont be in the rain but when you say epoxy, do you mean something along the lines of West System 2 part epoxy?

Thanks for the help

I use Rustins wood dye I'm not sure about the spirt stain or if it will react with the varnish or lacquer you may have to do a test piece first. If you can spray it you will get a smoother finish quicker with little or no sanding so you won't need as many coats.
    I use the west system 2 part with the 207 slow hardener it takes a bit longer to set but it's a little bit clearer than the 205. If it's not going to be left out in sunlight you could get away without varnishing as the varnish is only for UV protection.

P.S I would also use the epoxy for gluing every thing together if you need to thicken it up just add a bit of fine sawdust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I'm afraid Axminster won't send any spirit stains overseas. Personally I like them - they need to be wiped on quickly to avoid 'tide lines'.
    They can be bought however from WH Raitt in Stranolar ( 074 9131549 ) and mail ordered to you . Ask for Stanley and if he doesn't have them he will order for you.
    Otherwise water based stains are perfectly good but I find them impossible to find.Rustins and Colron are the most commonly stocked stains and are oil based.

Thanks Fergal & Recipio,

Looking at McKenna's i can get Rustins wood dyes there so may do a combo of Ebony on the legs and Pine or Medium Oak on the table top, coat with melamine lacquer also available there. All in all not too expensive for a final product, don't think i can justify the cost of an epoxy coating for what it is. Once the whole lot is left to cure I'm sure a bit of sambo left on it won't do any harm, melamine appears to be a good final finish and i can spray this.

Should i use sanding sealer first or is there a need with the Rustins wood dye? I will trial a piece first to see if it gets blotchy anyhow.

Great advice, thanks.

You should dye first ( not literally ! ) and then apply sanding sealer.
    I forgot to say that Rustins have a range of transparent paints in lots of colours. They are intended to be brushed on but everything can be sprayed with the right diluent.I used them years ago and they certainly colour the wood while leaving the grain visible.

Can't appear to find the transparent paint on the Rustins website, any idea of its brand name on the tin? have searched "Rustins transparent paint" to no avail. All I get is transparent lacquer, feel like a muppet now having to ask this.

Can't appear to find the transparent paint on the Rustins website, any idea of its brand name on the tin? have searched "Rustins transparent paint" to no avail. All I get is transparent lacquer, feel like a muppet now having to ask this.

Sorry, they seem to have gone off the market but I could have sworn I saw them recently in Woodies. They are a kind of thin paint which leaves the grain exposed. If you are willing to use a brush they would be ideal.

• Advertisement

No worries, thought i was blind.
    I am near limerick so i can pop in to McKenna's and see if they have a sample box of spirit stain on the shelf, if not i will do a 2x wood dyes and melamine spray finish.
    Will call in to a woodies too for a look, cant see anything on the website but they may have something in store, probably end up coming out of there with more bloomin Christmas lights.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I think I seen the Chestnut spirit stains in the Carpentry Store in Naas the last time I was there. They have a good selection of the Chestnut range. I picked up the gold gilt cream recently.

thanks woodurner, I might be passing that way later in the week so have a fall back if Joe fails (haven't had a chance to get in there yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You could try MRCB in Dublin I have bought the sprit stain powder there and mixed it up myself

Advertisement