Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 GEM Cut-Off Points

Options
  • 03-12-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

It's super early days, with the Dublin GAMSATs still very far off, but having done the London round and got an ok result (58), I am left wondering what the cut-offs will be this year, and whether I should sit the Dublin one.

To be safe doing the Dublin GAMSAT would probably be best.

But does anyone have any opinions / divine insight as to how the points will go this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Congrats on your result!

The points are decreasing every year since 2010, but I'm not aware of any evidence that continuing/stabilising/reversing.
    I wouldn't think it's likely for the points to rise back above 60 though, it's a bit of a jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Well done on the result! It's entirely guessing at this stage, surely! The only early indicators can be the numbers applying through CAO by the Feb 1 cut off (once CAO releases this info) and then perhaps comparing the GAMSAT curve when released in May 2014 with that of 2013. I assume since you are referring it to it as the Dublin GAMSAT rather than Irish that you have your heart set on studying in Dublin? If so, you will be taking a chance by not repeating with 58. Then again, if you would be happy with the Limerick or Cork options you are probably quite safe. Tis a tough one...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Yeah, I wish there was something conrete but it's probably just a guessing game really....

Ah, can you sat the GAMSAT elsewhere in Ireland? I didn't know. But yeah, I have a small preference for Dublin, but with RCSI being more expensive, maybe it would be UCD first then UCC. I was down in UCC a while ago and had a quick tour of the place,it looked great and the couple of students I met were very happy.

just-joe wrote: »
    Yeah, I wish there was something conrete but it's probably just a guessing game really....

Ah, can you sat the GAMSAT elsewhere in Ireland? I didn't know. But yeah, I have a small preference for Dublin, but with RCSI being more expensive, maybe it would be UCD first then UCC. I was down in UCC a while ago and had a quick tour of the place,it looked great and the couple of students I met were very happy.

Cork and Limerick also, I believe! Why not UL? UL is my first choice but I might have to pick a Dublin college for personal reasons. Went to UL open day recently and I was very impressed with it. The new GEM building is stunning and facilities are state of the art. Also, if you were to consider UL you could sit happy for the next 8 or so months rather than facing GAMSAT for the next 4!

I am not completely against UL but I think I would prefer the learning style in the other places, and I also haven't heard great things from people who have studied there. UL does have an amazing campus though and I'd say the facilities from grad med are wicked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HopefulGEM

Guys I'm in exactly the same boat. Got a 60 in the September UK exam and now I'm wondering will I be safe for UCD come August?!? I rang the CAO to see what they thought and they couldn't give me any advise whatsoever:S Do you guys think I should resit in March? The wait for August is already killing me!!

HopefulGEM wrote: »
    Guys I'm in exactly the same boat. Got a 60 in the September UK exam and now I'm wondering will I be safe for UCD come August?!? I rang the CAO to see what they thought and they couldn't give me any advise whatsoever:S Do you guys think I should resit in March? The wait for August is already killing me!!

I hope you are safe on 60! Can't see why you wouldn't be. Results are fairly consistent year after year. Only thing that seems to change cut offs much is change in number of places (not expected) and the banks generosity or otherwise changing (also unlikely to change this year)

letsdothis

What preferences are you putting the four universities at?

HopefulGEM wrote: »
    letsdothis

What preferences are you putting the four universities at?

I want to put UL down first but it's looking increasingly likely I'll have to be based in Dublin. Cork is 4. Right now I've a preference for UCD over RCSI. I'm registered for the RCSI open day next weekend so maybe that will sway me. So ideally it's UL, UCD, RCSI, UCC but it will probably be UCD, RCSI, UL, UCC. How about you?

I'm definitely hoping to stay in dublin plus I did my undergrad in UCD and love the place so mine is currently as follows: UCD, RCSI, UCC, UL. I really hope there isnt a big points jump this year! I've decided il stick with 60 and not sit the March exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Can anyone refer me to any threads on UL relating to the actual grad med program specifically on the PBL ?

I was at the RCSI open day on Saturday and was impressed but Ive got 56 in the GAMSAT- second time up from 55.

I know UL is good for swimming which is a big plus for me but the style of teaching - how is it - personal experience more than the description on UL's website.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

UCD has a 50m pool too, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

I swim with TCD, so the big attraction other than doing med is the training down there. Plus taekwan-do. Just hope next August goes according to plan

Swimming in a 50m pool would be wicked.

A few of the students at the RCSI had the opinion that yeah, we don't have a gym or anything, but you dont have time for it so its all good. And I imagine you would be fairly busy. But still, it would be a big draw for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

just-joe wrote: »
    Swimming in a 50m pool would be wicked.

A few of the students at the RCSI had the opinion that yeah, we don't have a gym or anything, but you dont have time for it so its all good. And I imagine you would be fairly busy. But still, it would be a big draw for me too.

You'll definitely have time for it! Things aren't that grim!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrpockets09

I'm in 3rd year of a 4year course at the minute and thinking of medicine after I graduate. Just wondering did people take a year out after graduating to study and sit the GAMSAT or done it during there final year, or what way does it work! Also just wondering what UL does different regarding teaching compared to the other colleges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TiredLawGrad

I did the GAMSAT a year after finishing a Masters degree, not that I took a year off to study for it; it just happened. And I am still at it :(

What does UL do differently? This link might help.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057089699

I'm in 3rd year of a 4year course at the minute and thinking of medicine after I graduate. Just wondering did people take a year out after graduating to study and sit the GAMSAT or done it during there final year, or what way does it work! Also just wondering what UL does different regarding teaching compared to the other colleges?

Leaving it til a year (at least) after your undergrad makes sense - studying for Gamsat during final year could jeopardise getting the essential 2.1, which would rule you out of GEM in Ireland. Also, a year working would help to get a bit of money behind you. If you start Gamsat prep straight after your final exams, you can sit in the UK in September and have two shots at entry that year.

Advertisement