Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions....

Options
  • 03-12-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hey all,

Applying for a learner permit for category A I think, in the coming days. My question is will I still be required to sit the IBT as my last learner permit expired about a year ago. Previous to that I had driven mopeds/bikes for almost 7 years. I sat and failed my full license (hangs head) test twice, once because i had no proper training, and the second time I was done on lifesavers. I was driving a Honda Hornet (250) at the time.
    I no longer have a bike as it was written off in an accident which was no fault of mine. Can I just apply for my test and rent or borrow a bike to do it? Which category can i apply for? (i'm 29). I had built up 6 years NCB which i presume will be gone by now but that doesn't bother me so much as i'm most likely leaving the country next year just want to a have a full bike licence before i go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not sure about the licence you'll be getting, but given you failed the test twice, why not do IBT and just not have any restrictions on your licence then.

If you were to get the same Learner permit you had (which I am not sure if you can) you'll be restricted to 25 kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I agree with MD. Assuming you can retrieve your old A LP or provisional, you could exchange it for the 'new' A LP which means you can ride any bike you like without restrictions, from the start even on your LP, only being restricted by what you can get insurance on. You will have to do whichever of the modules that apply to you (1,3 and 5 iirc) and you've be away in hack. Your instructor could prepare you for your practical test without much effort seeing as you are an experienced rider. You'll also be able to borrow his bike for the test.

As soon as you take some lessons you'll realise that you would want to be clairvoyant to take your test and know what the testers are looking for. It would be virtually impossible to pass without training. Failing twice is not a reflection of your riding, it's more a reflection that you've been remiss.

If your last insurance was within the last two years, you'll still be entitled to all six years of it. At least that's how it worked for me after I returned from travelling abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Hey all,

Applying for a learner permit for category A I think, in the coming days. My question is will I still be required to sit the IBT as my last learner permit expired about a year ago. Previous to that I had driven mopeds/bikes for almost 7 years. I sat and failed my full license (hangs head) test twice, once because i had no proper training, and the second time I was done on lifesavers. I was driving a Honda Hornet (250) at the time.
    I no longer have a bike as it was written off in an accident which was no fault of mine. Can I just apply for my test and rent or borrow a bike to do it? Which category can i apply for? (i'm 29). I had built up 6 years NCB which i presume will be gone by now but that doesn't bother me so much as i'm most likely leaving the country next year just want to a have a full bike licence before i go.

You can change your old 'A' permit for an 'A2' permit & sit an 'A2' test (which is a restricted category) without any IBT training.

If you want to do a category 'A' test you would have to do IBT training.

You can hire bike for any category of training or test.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭First Explorer

Cheers for the replies, by the sounds of things I will have to do some form of IBT training anyway, if i renew my old learner permit I will still have to sit the A2 test and do the progression model training before I can sit a test for a full unrestricted license, and considering i've been off bikes for almost a year maybe the training wouldn't do me any harm. I just need to get the cash together and do the training in the new year. A local instructor does the complete course over a weekend including bike hire for €500, so will look into that in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Cheers for the replies, by the sounds of things I will have to do some form of IBT training anyway, if i renew my old learner permit I will still have to sit the A2 test and do the progression model training before I can sit a test for a full unrestricted license, and considering i've been off bikes for almost a year maybe the training wouldn't do me any harm. I just need to get the cash together and do the training in the new year. A local instructor does the complete course over a weekend including bike hire for €500, so will look into that in the new year.

Shop around and you might get it a little cheaper. Well worth it though. Think of it as a one time investment in the skin on your arse :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...and considering i've been off bikes for almost a year maybe the training wouldn't do me any harm.

Very true but...
    ...if i renew my old learner permit I will still have to sit the A2 test and do the progression model training before I can sit a test for a full unrestricted license...

Are you sure this is right? This only applies if you're under 24 afaik.

My brother is 32 and has the old A LP. He can exchange it for a new A LP and de-restrict the bike after 'validating' his LP by completing certain modules of IBT

Advertisement