Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hbert reading log

Options
  • 03-12-2013 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I have wanted to do something for ages to keep track of what I've read so starting now, better late than never!

So just finished "Knife of Dreams" Book 11 of The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

I'm dipping in and out of this series since February as sometimes I feel I need a break from all the Aes Sedai and trollocs! I would like to see the demise of one or two of the main characters soon though. I don't know how they are all hanging on so long. I don't get how people can give up on this series as I'm dying to find out what happens. Just hope it won't disappoint.

Reading a few other books here and there hasn't distracted me from it at all. I do go back to it. I've loved it all so far and can't wait to get to the end now. I won't know what to do with myself when I finish this series as I'm used to having it there to read for so long! Its amazing how you can get immersed in this whole other world. I'm thinking Raymond E. Feist. There seems to be a good few books and I love a good series. Plus it seems quite popular so must be decent enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭hbert

The Racketeer by John Grisham

I've read a few of his books before and always enjoyed them, this one certainly didn't disappoint either. I would recommend it as a decent read.

Pros:I was kept guessing the entire book!
    Cons:I'm sure he was pretty loose with sticking by actual legalities! Perhaps a bit hard to believe as a story that could actually happen.

The Gathering Storm, book 12 in The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson

I enjoyed this alright, glad to see a bit of progress! Still wishing a main character would die. A bit painful in places as in the characters making stupid moves and you're shouting at them(in your head) not to be so stupid. Only two left to go now so really looking forward to getting them finished. Intrigued to see how it all pans out. I hope a few die and its not just a happy ending!

Towers of Midnight, Book 14 of The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson

A Memory of Light, the final book in The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson

I was happy enough with the final book. I had been reading this so long and had enjoyed it all along so that I had started to prepare myself for the end maybe not living up to expectation. Total pessimist but lets face it, its usually the case that the ending doesn't measure up! I'm sad its over. It'll be strange not having it there to fall back on. I'll have to find another series with a lot of detail to start now!

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me a lot of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I was glad I read the book before I watched the film as I didn't think the film was so great. I guess though maybe if I had done it the other way around I might have thought the film was better! I was moved to tears when reading the ending which isn't something I find happens a lot to me when reading.

• Advertisement

Guilt by Jonathan Kellerman

I prefer his earlier books as I think the latter aren't anywhere near as good. I'll probably continue to read all his books anyways. Old habits are truly hard to break. His books are the first from the crime genre that I began to read as an eleven-twelve year old. His books got me interested in crime and I've read his earlier books multiple times.This one definitely lacked something. It just falls short for me which is a great pity.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

This had been out for so long and all I'd heard were good things so I was excited to read it. I loved it! It was unlike anything I've read before. I was kept guessing the whole way through. This one definitely lived up to the hype!

Magician by Raymond E. Feist

After my short break from fantasy I decided to get back into it with Magician. I was craving a detailed series to get stuck into and this came highly recommended. I did enjoy this book but it didn't quite hit the mark for me. I hated the huge leaps in time. The beginning is the strongest for me as I enjoyed the young Pug and Tomas. However I do love the 'rift' to other worlds idea. I'll definitely be reading on!

Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist

Decent enough alright. I think 'Jimmy the Hand' is basically the same character as young Pug. Lyam is a pain! Looking forward to what's to come from this series.

The Darkness at Sethanon by Raymond E.Feist

Not as good as the rest. I really lost interest. The series seems a little over rated to me.

• Advertisement

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

I really enjoyed this book. I was intrigued to see what happened and read it really quickly as a result. a few faults but over all very good.

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Basically the Hunger Games in terms of writing style and characters. Reasonably good.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Not as good as Divergent at all. Really starting to go down hill. God I do not like Tris!

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Crap. Didn't even finish it. I just couldn't be bothered when there's so many good books out there that I want to read!

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

This was good. Probably better at the time it was written as would have seemed so futuristic. Unsure though if I'll read the rest of the series.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

I hated this book in the beginning but liked it once I got stuck in. I did find it a bit weird how it was so old fashioned in parts but its meant to be present day. Pretty good and glad I read it but not exactly bowled over.

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Intriguing like her other two books. I will definitely read future books by her. Very enjoyable.

Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight

Brilliant book. I would highly recommend. Heard its to be made into a film too.

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Really liked this. nice to have a series to read that's not all released. It gives me something to look forward to!

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

Why and how have I never read this before?!?! And she has loads of books out so that's me for the next while.

• Advertisement

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb

Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb

Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb

Can it be possible that this is even better than the farseer trilogy. Where have these been all my life?!

The Mad Ship by Robin Hobb

Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb

Advertisement