Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best network to phone Ireland from UK

Options
  • 02-12-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,
    I'm working in the Uk and come home for a long weekend a month. My contract with E mobile runs out shortly. They charge me 20 cent to phone home(mobiles) from UK per minute. Does anyone know if there's a better network for me? I just need a minimum amt of calls and internet for when I am home
    Many thanks
    Niall

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You would be better off getting a separate sim and network, one for UK and one for Ireland.

You then have three options:
    1) Swap the sim cards when in Ireland
    2) Buy a cheap (€20) phone to use with the Irish SIM, so you can carry two phones at the same time and get calls and texts on both at the same time.
    3) Get a dual sim phone which allows you to use the two sim cards at the same time.

Tesco Mobile is probably your best bet for a cheap sim in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 niall147

Thanks for that. I have 2 phones and an irish and uK network provider. My uk network- 3- allow me to use my uk phone to browse internet at home for free. I just want an irish network that will allow me to phone ireland inexpensively and people can call me when in Uk and free to receive. Im currently with E mobile- free to receive but 20 c a min to call. i'm looking for a cheaper option. I pay then 50 quid a month and I make very few calls and never use my allowance as home 1 weekend a month- they had a good deal on an iphone 18 months ago so went with it.
    niall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Best plan is probably a dual sim phone with an Irish SIM like Vodafone, or 3 that does not charge extra for receiving calls in the UK (so your mates can call you) and a UK SIM with some sort of Ireland bolt on to get good value calls.

Advertisement