Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achaelogical App for Smart Phone

Options
  • 02-12-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi was planning on making an Archaeological App for smart phone use. Mainly for History enthusiasts and maybe some educational purposes. I was wondering if anyone would be interested if such an app was made and published on one of App Marketplaces.

Any feedback welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

As a person with an interest in visiting such sites but with very little real knowledge of the history or original purpose I'd love an app.

Off the top if my head I'd like

GPS locations
    List by county
    Brief history
    Similar sites nearby, in Ireland and abroad
    Other attractions nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WheresWaldo

I was thinking along similar lines. I have seen some Archaeological apps on Android and IPhone marketplace, but only show a map which display the locations, no information sites.

I have already set up some maps with locations of various sites, and historical information to go along with it, such as:

• important dates
    • historical significance
    • Historical information
    • images
    • location of user and sites
    But so far have not found much of a demand of this type of application.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

I bought the 'archaeology app' on ITunes around a year ago. It was quite expensive(6.99), but it does most of what you listed above. Doesn't seem to be supported anymore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I was thinking along similar lines. I have seen some Archaeological apps on Android and IPhone marketplace, but only show a map which display the locations, no information sites.

I have already set up some maps with locations of various sites, and historical information to go along with it, such as:

• important dates
    • historical significance
    • Historical information
    • images
    • location of user and sites
    But so far have not found much of a demand of this type of application.
    An app aimed specifically at those with an interest in archaeology might have a relatively limited market. However, it would certainly be a useful addition to the landscape archaeologist's armoury.
    I find GPS, a compass and access to aerial imagery/mapping essential tools and use the phone more and more.

It would do no harm to contact the National Monuments Service about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Have the App use the location of the phone to bring up archaeological and historical information about the location people are at. Most tourists need to know about what they are looking at, when they are looking at it. For example a visiting family asks about, local attractions and wander in the pointed direction, or just wanders about. By and large, they look at Megaliths and wonder is it builders rubble or the most important thing on the island - they would just like to know. The idea of attractions in the area is also a winner for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

There's a wealth of data for download available on the archaeology.ie map system (scissor icon to the top of map screen).. You'd possibly need permission from the NMS to anything commercial with it, but should get you started with a ready to go data set of sites around the country..

Come across a standing stone in a field, open up the app.. If the app comes up a blank for anything in that field you know the standing stone isn't a listed monument.. Which could be quite useful..

I'd say the National Monument survey would like to develop something along those lines, both for their own employees and the general public.. So as Slowburner said it may be of interest to proposition and idea to them..

Advertisement