Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking the house

Options
  • 02-12-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I want to network a new build.

I will have wide cavities on external walls which will be pumped. I have been advised rather than chasing walls, to work from the attic, drop a 1" plastic pipe inside the cavity to each room, put a 90 degree bend on the end of each pipe and bring it out through a hole through the wall. Wire everyting back to the attic, and any future cables can be added easily. Anyone try this before?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Definitely bring them back to a central location where you cannot it to a router/switch. Preferably where there is the main point for your ISP/main phone socket

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

I'd echo the above and say bring it back to where your main point would be or at least make sure that you will have one of the runs next to the main point so that you can hook an additional switch on to the broadband.

Also, make sure that you get good quality cable for the runs as you don't want to get interference on the cable.

AND, don't forget to get a electrical socket or two installed where everything will be meeting up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

The way technology is going you would nearly want 20 sockets in every room!!!

I can bring them all up from the roof to the attic and then run them back to a main point. TV cable and broadband cable will enter the house at the same point anyway, probably the utility room.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

While the idea suggested to you will work, maybe somewhere more accessible to get to. What I mean is if you are configuring the device/adding/removing etc its less awkward to get at power cables, network cables for e.g.

Since you are going to the trouble of cabling the house. I would also recommend cabling for 2/3 wireless access points to give your house full wifi coverage. The number all depends on the design of the house, what wireless repeaters you are using, but if you give me a outline of the design I should be able to recommend some if your interested

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

I would have looked at invidivdual routers plugged into the network socket in the wall.

As you face the house from the front, sunroom to extreme right. Kitchen and Utility along back and then there is a Living Room and Sitting Room to the front of the Kitchen. Hall to the left of the Sitting Room and close enough to the middle of the house. Then to the left there are three bedrooms. I was more or less thinking one wireless router at the Bedroom end and perhaps one in the kitchen, with both wired back to source.

• Advertisement
Advertisement