Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Wall Insulation Part of House

Options
  • 02-12-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi There,

We bought a ~40 bungalow about 2 years ago which is built using 9” cavity bricks. The main part of the house is dry lined and not too bad heat wise (could always be better though) However the main problem is where our kitchen is an extension to the original house and it’s pretty Baltic to say the least. Opening the press doors is like a cold box at times. The further complication is that when we bought the house we replaced the entire kitchen and didn’t slab up the inside of the wall for insulation (big regret here).

Sooo is it possible to get external wall insulation on part of the house? The extension steps back pretty independent from the rest of the house, so would be just three walls to be done. Possible? I’ve had a good look around and cant get an answer to this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Hi There,

We bought a ~40 bungalow about 2 years ago which is built using 9” cavity bricks. The main part of the house is dry lined and not too bad heat wise (could always be better though) However the main problem is where our kitchen is an extension to the original house and it’s pretty Baltic to say the least. Opening the press doors is like a cold box at times. The further complication is that when we bought the house we replaced the entire kitchen and didn’t slab up the inside of the wall for insulation (big regret here).

Sooo is it possible to get external wall insulation on part of the house? The extension steps back pretty independent from the rest of the house, so would be just three walls to be done. Possible? I’ve had a good look around and cant get an answer to this.
    Thanks

Did you contact some of the contractors cant see why not after all you will be paying them to do it

of course you will not qualify for grant but to the contractor this is not an issue he shouldnt care where his money comes from

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭blacktea

Hi There,

Thanks

afaik, under the beh scheme with seai you must implement a 100% solution. In other words all walls would have to be insulated unless possible the walls you are not seeking to insulate are already up to spec.

look at the beh scheme docs on www.seai.ie for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

yea but the op didnt mention the grant only if he could get part of the house insulated I think of course you can but no grant

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭blacktea

mylesm wrote: »
    yea but the op didnt mention the grant only if he could get part of the house insulated I think of course you can but no grant

you are right, my mistake mylesm.

obviously, on that basis, the op can part insulate if they want

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

No reason why not SD, just watch out for junction of kitchen walls to main building - there will most likely be a thermal bridge at that location as the external wall of the main house may bypass the new external wall insulation. This may require a thin layer of insulation internally to eliminate risk of surface condensation/mould growth...if you could post a rough plan view we could advise further.

• Advertisement
Advertisement