Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collared dove bullies!

Options
  • 02-12-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

We have about twenty collared doves arriving in our garden every morning for *breakfast*. (My wife reckons they're very fond of the Lidl Jumbo oats!).
    However, there appears to be two of the flock who bully the others continually. They won't even let them land never mind feed. Is this normal behaviour for these birds or could they oats be making them super-aggressive by any chance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Got the same thing at home. It'll be a resident territorial pair bullying newcomers who are flocking around the food source for the Winter most likely. And yes, they love the Lidl oats!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

I love the collared dove, such a graceful, beautiful bird. I can't feed them though as there are woodpigeons and feral pigeons who would take the food instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Akhenaten

[HTML]I love the collared dove, such a graceful, beautiful bird.[/HTML]

I couldn't agree more!

A pair frequented my garden several years ago,but can you imagine my horror when I opened the back door one morning to find one of them barely alive on the doorstep - I could have strangled the cat!!Suffice it to say,it didn't survive.I never saw its mate thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Ulmus wrote: »
    I love the collared dove, such a graceful, beautiful bird. I can't feed them though as there are woodpigeons and feral pigeons who would take the food instead.

You wouldn't begrudge the poor 'oul pigeons a bit o' grub would ya?!

Advertisement