Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android tablet for €250 or less?

Options
  • 02-12-2013 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for an android tablet for €250 or less and I was hoping I could get some recommendations here?
    I'd like it to have a 10 inch screen if possible, other than that I'm clueless as to what I should go for but I'd obviously like if it could be of good quality..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Hi all,
    I'm looking for an android tablet for €250 or less and I was hoping I could get some recommendations here?
    I'd like it to have a 10 inch screen if possible, other than that I'm clueless as to what I should go for but I'd obviously like if it could be of good quality..

The Google Nexus is far and away the best tablet available at the moment for the money. You can get the 7" for €219 in PCworld. The 10" model is due to be replaced in the new year so I'd hold off for that if you wanted a 10". It will be a little over your budget but you an save more while waiting for it :)

CinSoots wrote: »
    The Google Nexus is far and away the best tablet available at the moment for the money. You can get the 7" for €219 in PCworld....

+1 for this. I just got that tablet yesterday after a LOT of online research and it's really really good value for the money. That cashback offer ends on wednesday by the way, last couple of days of it left now. The process seems a bit convoluted, you pay the full €249 price at the till, then wait a couple of weeks, register online, and they stick €30 cash (not vouchers, etc) into your bank account. I got a free case, screen protector and stylus because i had the wallet out and was himming and hawing, moaning about the online price being a bit lower, etc ;).

The screen on it is superb, miles better than anything else near it in that price range, and it's silky smooth to navigate around in, no lag at all. It seems to come in at or near the top in all the benchmark tests for speed, batteries, graphics etc. The only thing that would have made it a no-brainer for me is the addition of a micro SD card slot, maybe in place of the rear camera, as that pretty much won't ever be being used. I'll always have my phone ready to go for snaps.

I plan to use mine as mainly a cloud services device, so youtube, netflix, spotify etc, and dropbox/google drive and the like for storage and keep just the basic essentials on the device, but if you were planning to store a lot of files, media etc locally on it that might give cause for concern. There's only about 12gb local storage left on the 16gb one after the OS, so the higher storage 32gb one with 27 or 28gb usable storage might be an option, or have a usb SD card reader hanging off the bottom of it, but that would mess it up looks and practicality-wise.

I have the 16gb and i've basically just decided to live with the limitations in storage and push myself to move more towards the cloud. It IS the future, after all...

Anyways, that's my 2 cents, i would fully recommend it. Aesthetically it's a really beautiful, light and thin tablet. I'm still actually debating whether to lock it into a carry case or not because of that. Doubling it's thickness seems wrong because it's so thin and pretty, so i'm thinking of just carrying it around in a slip case and just using it naked except for a screen protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭daviddunne1992

thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it :)
    I might wait and get that one then..

would the below tablet be any good for the price?
    I'm asking for a friend who wants to spend up to €300

http://www.did.ie/toshiba-excite-10-1-tablet-at10-104-prd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it :)
    I might wait and get that one then..

would the below tablet be any good for the price?
    I'm asking for a friend who wants to spend up to €300

http://www.did.ie/toshiba-excite-10-1-tablet-at10-104-prd

If your not too fussy about minor brand names check out this one (much the same spec but lower camera 2mp and battery life at 6hr) for €170..

HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭daviddunne1992

Armelodie wrote: »
    If your not too fussy about minor brand names check out this one (much the same spec but lower camera 2mp and battery life at 6hr) for €170..

HERE
    thanks pal, i'll look at that one too..
    is it a case of your paying for the name with some tablets then since a lot of tablets have similar specs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement