Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on BMW X5

Options
  • 02-12-2013 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting an X5 for easy driving and not too much of off-roading.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on that SUV?

I heard a lot of stories that it breaks a lot etc but I would like to get someones opinion who actually had one.

My main reason for getting one is; the looks, sound, size and because I really like it.

I would be looking to buy a 2005 or 2006 one.

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 johnymst

anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Hi I have had a 2005 3.0d and a 2007 3.0d, loved them both. The e70 is a bit more refined and slightly better fuel consumption. Don't go for low profiles on Irish roads it really takes from the ride. Off road is not bad but no low ratio which I am sure you are aware of.

Tax is a killer, that is one reason I got rid of the 2007 which I had from new. Changed to a 2012 f11 2.0d.

Pulling power is pretty good I have pulled a fair weight up step slopes.

Any specifics just ask.

Btw my e70 sold for 18k with 160k on the clock and it was as good as the day I picked it up

Hi cram,

thanks for your reply.

What about the reliability? I have read so many bad things about the x5 that got me wondering for a bit if it's worth.

Did you have to spend much money in the repairs? Such as transmission, suspension and electronics?

Also, to be more precise, what is the exact mpg that u get in the 05 one?

Thanks!

I only had the E53 for about 18 months. I had no issues avg mpg 10.1 L per 100km. I did most of the maintenance myself servicing brake pads etc once it was out of warranty.

The E70 had a few issues but I did have it for 5 1/2 years. 2 cracked alloys. Headlights had to be replaced due to cracking in the front plastic lens. BMW did it under warranty but under Duress. I also had to replace the air suspension on one side on the rear axle just before it went. (I returned the car to the finance company as I still owed 34k on it and it was only worth about 18-19k under the 50/50 rule)

Great reply :)

Should I be worried about mileage on Automatic ones? Or should I get Manual instead?
    Also, what are the things to look at when buying one over here?

I would be looking at a commercial one because of the cheaper tax so I would save up for some new tires and breaks every year lol

• Advertisement

I say if you could find a manual x5 you would be doing well. you will have problems selling it on. I believe BMW use a lifetime gearbox oil which in theory is supposed to be never changed but the general consensus is to change it every 100k or 5 years.

Did you ever change the oil?

How much is for the oil + the payment for changing it?

Engine oil all the time, never changed the gearbox.

Changing the engine oil and filter costs about 70 euro to do it yourself and 3 times that by a garage at least.

Yeah no point going to garages for such things... How many times a year you change the oil + oil filter?

went by on board computer

• Advertisement
Advertisement