Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Sports Awards 2013 (RTE1, Saturday December 21 9pm)

Options
  • 02-12-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

The nominees for each award have been announced - hopefully RTE manage to show the announcement and presentation of the main award this time!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/darts/2013/1129/489989-rte-sports-awards/

RTE Sports Person of the year 2013 nominees
    (The award winner will be decided by a panel of RTÉ Sport journalists and editorial staff)

Name|Sport|Achievement
    Rob Heffernan|Athletics|World Champion 50km Walk
    Martyn Irvine |Cycling|World Track Cycling Gold and Silver Medallist
    Tony Kelly |Hurling|Clare All-Ireland winning Hurler
    Michael Darragh Macauley|Gaelic Football|Dublin All-Ireland Football Winner
    Tony McCoy|Horse Racing|UK Champion Jockey (Jumps), rode 4,000th winner
    Michael McKillop|Paralympic Athlete| Double World Champion
    Annalise Murphy|Sailing|European Champion
    Joseph O’Brien|Horse Racing|Irish Champion Jockey (Flat), broke record for most wins in a season
    Jason Quigley|Boxing|World Silver Medallist
    Jonathan Sexton|Rugby| Starred for Leinster, Ireland, Lions and Racing Metro

Jason Smyth|Paralympic Athlete| Double World Champion

RTE Sports Team of the Year 2013 nominees
    (The Team of the Year will be selected by a public phone and text vote on the night. Voting details announced at the beginning of the programme on 20 December and on www.rte.ie/sport)

Name|Sport|Achievement
    Clare|Hurling|All Ireland Winners
    Dublin|Gaelic Football|All Ireland Winners (Men)
    Cork|Gaelic Football|All Ireland Winners (Women)
    Galway|Camogie|All Ireland Winners
    Ireland World Championship team|Boxing|Most Medals ever by an Irish team
    Leinster|Rugby|Rabo Pro 12, Amlin Challenge Cup and B&I Cup winners
    Ireland Womens team|Rugby| Grand Slam Winners
    Irish Paralympic Team|Swimming|Won 8 medals at World Championships
    St Patricks Athletic|Football|Airtricity League Winners

RTÉ Sports Awards 2013: Coach of the Year
    (This award is selected by a panel of journalists from various Irish outlets and publications.)

Name|Team|Achievement
    Liam Buckey|St Patricks Athletic|Airtricity League Winners
    Phillip Doyle|Ireland Womens Team|Grand Slam Winners
    Davy Fitzgerald|Clare Hurling|All Ireland Winners
    Jim Gavin|Dublin Football|All Ireland Winners
    Willie Mullins|Horse Racing| Multiple Wins
    Eamonn Ryan|Cork Ladies Football|All Ireland Winners
    Billy Walsh|Boxing|World Championship Multiple medallists
    Tony Ward|Galway Camogie|All Ireland Winners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

I really hope Rob Heffernan gets the nod, he is the clear number 1 choice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Has to be Heffernan really.

Had Quigley won Gold it may have been interesting although Irvine is world champ too I think Heffernan achievement tops the lot.

Good chance Clare and Davy will win other too. Be surprised if both miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Hope our national boxing team win team of the year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

McCoy.

Ireland's greatest ever sportsperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Heffernan, Womens Rugby team and Billy Walsh but don't see Womens rugby team getting picked and can see the boxers or Clare winning team of the year

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Peter Kearney

OK I'm not dissing Heffernan here but he did win his gold the year after the Olympics when some of the elites treat the year with less intensity than Olympic years.

For me, Jason Smyth's double Paralympic Gold tops Heff and AP McCoy's exploits in UK Horesracing is pretty special also.

OK I'm not dissing Heffernan here but he did win his gold the year after the Olympics when some of the elites treat the year with less intensity than Olympic years.

For me, Jason Smyth's double Paralympic Gold tops Heff and AP McCoy's exploits in UK Horesracing is pretty special also.

While indeed the post-Olympic year is nowhere near as competitive, it was the manner of Heffernan's performance that was outstanding...he blew the Russians away on their home-turf.....this was a massive championships for the Russians on home-soil and we know how tough they are in this discipline. Additionally, conditions were far from ideal in Moscow and Rob's time was phenomenal, only 1 second outside of the time he set at the London Olympics where conditions were more conducive to fast times as well as the huge home support he received at the Olympics. Nobody was going to beat Rob in Moscow this year and in truth he could have gone faster had he needed to, but he was in complete control and just savoured the moment. The whole fairytale story surrounding his victory after years if heartache as well as the family unit element of the story, with his wife Marian and kids fully involved just makes this success so fitting of the award in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

The lack of motorsport nominees is predictable............:rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,662 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Probably won't get the votes, but it's Irvine for me all the way - first track gold for Ireland since 1896 (in a scratch race that started 30 mins after he won a silver in the pursuit), first ever World Cup gold, and taking a bronze in the European championships (4 medals in 4 different events!)

AP McCoy wins the Sports Person of the Year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Truly dreadful television program.
    Darragh Moloney is probably the worst presenter in TV land.
    Absolutley no atmosphere.
    Audience & guests looked like they wished they were anywhere else...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,662 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I like the way they only let the public vote on the team of the year - that way they can have the phone lines open (at 60c a text) for pretty much the full programme, while allowing a jury to pre-select the main winner in secret....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Darragh Moloney is probably the worst presenter in TV land.

I think that is very harsh on Darragh. He did dozens of interviews with no assistant and kept the show ticking over well.

By it's very nature the show is bloated, as you will always get complaints if you don't cover as many sports as possible.

I enjoyed the interview with Martyn Irvine, He was refreshingly honest and he seems like an interesting guy. Incidentally, he won the BBC NI Sports Personality of the Year a few days ago http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/northern-ireland/25455864

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Here is the full winners list

RTE Sports Person of the Year - AP McCoy

RTE Sports Award Hall of Fame - Paul McGrath

RTE Sports Team of the Year - Clare Hurlers

RTE Sports Manager of the Year - Davy Fitzgerald

http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2013/1221/494304-mccoy/

Skid X wrote: »
    I enjoyed the interview with Martyn Irvine, He was refreshingly honest and he seems like an interesting guy. Incidentally, he won the BBC NI Sports Personality of the Year a few days ago http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/northern-ireland/25455864
    He is a really down to earth guy. Fame (alas no fortune) has come late for him. I think he's having the time of his life though. He goes through a lot of pain (training, racing and indeed crashing), but it's now paying off. Never hear anyone have anything negative to say about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Why the hell did Clare Hurlers win team of the year, The Women's Rugby or the Boxing Team are clearly more deserving. I mean no offence but Hurling is only in Ireland surely the sports people/ team of the year should be those who achieve on an international stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why the hell did Clare Hurlers win team of the year, The Women's Rugby or the Boxing Team are clearly more deserving. I mean no offence but Hurling is only in Ireland surely the sports people/ team of the year should be those who achieve on an international stage.
    Clare won their 3rd A/Ireland ever in what was generally considered to be one of the best if not the best Hurling Championship ever.
    I would have picked the Women's rugby team considering how much they've progressed so much in recent years and beat England who are normally so far ahead of the rest in womens rugby but Clare deserved the award.
    Only giving award/awards for athletes who compete on international stage would be stupid and completely knock any domestic achievement no matter how great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Talking of teams what about the Irish Taekwondo team? I know minority sport, yet second in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Can not believe Heffernan did not win this....ffs.

I actually thought he was a shoe-in, that there would be no reason to consider anyone else.

Advertisement