Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

a4 2.5 tdi quattro

Options
  • 02-12-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Im looking at a 03 b6 2.5 tdi quattro next week, its the 150 hp manual saloon. Could anyone tell me what they are like? good and bad points. Is there any major differnence between the 150 and 180 models. Any answers appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Earlier versions of the 2.5 had serious issues with camshaft wear: it's an expensive repair as you have 4 camshafts to replace, plus all the valve followers.

During 2003 an updated version of the engine was introduced with a camshaft design that mitigated the issue.

The engine codes with the updated camshaft design are BDG (163 bhp) and BAU/BDH (180 bhp), introduced on the A4 from June 2003.

If you're looking at a car with a different engine code, look carefully at the service history to see if there's any record of the camshafts having been changed. I'm not sure if it's possible to easily check the camshafts visually: you might get something by lifting the oil cap and having a look in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Are they reliable from then on, anything else to look out for on the drive train, are they proper quattro or haldex.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

150bhp from a 2.5 litre engine seems a bit lame considering you will be paying over €1k in motor tax per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The 2.5 TDI engine sufferes from cam wear especially the AKE engine code and ex UK cars that would have been on long life service intervals.

When the car is idling listen for any 'tick tick' noises from the top of the engine especially but not exclusively the right handside. If you can hear it that's at least one worn lobe on the camshaft on that side,there is no way of telling how bad it is without an inspection.

I don't know why you would for the 150 with the 180 being available and normally better spec'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I agree that the long life servicing is responsible for this. I have 200k on my allroad and never used the long life service option. It's the AKE engine and I've had no issues with the cams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Lovely car and I actually thought about buying one years ago but the huge turn off is all the chavs driving the 1.9 with tacky fiber glass quattro body kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SeanE30

bazz26 wrote: »
    150bhp from a 2.5 litre engine seems a bit lame considering you will be paying over €1k in motor tax per year.

I know the seller claims its remapped to 180 but wether to beilive it or not is another thing. its 130,000 miles on the clock, is it worth remapping or will it just lead to an empty pocket?

SeanE30 wrote: »
    I know the seller claims its remapped to 180 but wether to beilive it or not is another thing. its 130,000 miles on the clock, is it worth remapping or will it just lead to an empty pocket?

The only real way to know is to ask the seller for the dyno output sheet or get the car dyno'd yourself. To be honest you could get a 1.9 TDi with 130bhp in the A4 without the extra tax bill or reliability issues hanging over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Are they reliable from then on, anything else to look out for on the drive train, are they proper quattro or haldex.
    Proper Torsen quattro.

The only real way to know is to ask the seller for the dyno output sheet or get the car dyno'd yourself. To be honest you could get a 1.9 TDi with 130bhp in the A4 without the extra tax bill or reliability issues hanging over you.

There is ZERO comparison between the 2.5 and the 1.9. The difference in the driving experience is night and day. The 2.5 has the extra cylinders and a half decent power band.

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    There is ZERO comparison between the 2.5 and the 1.9. The difference in the driving experience is night and day. The 2.5 has the extra cylinders and a half decent power band.

Maybe so but I'd want more than 150/180bhp if I was paying over €1k in motor tax per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

There is more to engines than spec on a piece of paper.
    I drive a 2002 2.5TDI Skoda Superb and even though it has 155bhp (only) it is far sweeter and smoother than any of the 1.9's which I also have plenty of experience with. I think in this case the 2.5 is worth the extra €400 in motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Maybe so but I'd want more than 150/180bhp if I was paying over €1k in motor tax per year.

Forget about peak power figures - they don't mean much in the real world. A V6 turbodiesel with a specific output of 60 BHP per-litre will have a torque curve like a locomotive. Be grand. :cool:

True because 130bhp and 4 cylinders with a power band as wide as a nuns crack is great value at 673e :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Why ?

Makes them cheap to buy and power difference isn't everything.

This is Ireland remember so even on a motoring forum a lot of people still don't see the plus sides of large engines.

Advertisement