Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staining Pine/Red Deal

Options
  • 01-12-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey guys I'm just doing research for my Construction Project for LC and the standard wood the school issues is the plywood/laminboard red deal wood. Now that on its own isnt very attractive .. Its ok if its a meaningless project or whatever but I want a contrast in my piece of dark wood and light wood .. Im willing to use the Pine for the light wood but I was thinking of staining the pine for the dark wood .. Will it turn out nice considering this is a bunch of pine cuts stuck together to make a board ? if so what stains should I look into ? I dont want to colour the piece jet black but I want a contrast

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Should be no problem on one of my boat builds I stained the plywood to give two different affects, dark oak or ebony will give you the darkest colour, if you are going to varnish over it go with a water based stain.

IMG_5035-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

As long as you stick to plywood you should be able to stain it although practice on some scrap first. Solid pine is tricky to stain due the grain, giving a streaked appearance.
    Water based stains are easier to use than oil based. Sprit stains give a nice clean stain but are very hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Its the plywood Pine that we use alright .. i.e a bunch of long narrow pine cuts glued together and sanded .. That colouring on that boat looks very nice .. think I might go with that for the piece ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Its the plywood Pine that we use alright .. i.e a bunch of long narrow pine cuts glued together and sanded .. That colouring on that boat looks very nice .. think I might go with that for the piece ..

Its pine faced plywood ? You would be better with birch faced - something with no grain but I know you've got to go with what you have.
    Unfortunately with staining you only get one shot at it. You need to get it right with the first coat - a second coat does not deepen the stain very much.
    You can mix stains of the same brand together but practice on some scrap and let it dry overnight before assessing it in the daylight.

Advertisement