Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on Dualband Modem / Router to get to replace my vodafone modem / router

Options
  • 01-12-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi guys, can someone please recommend a good modem / router to work with my vodafone landline broadband. i believe that dual band is the way to go for faster performance which i need as i stream alot of hd content online. I saw
    THis on Argos, any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Hi guys, can someone please recommend a good modem / router to work with my vodafone landline broadband. i believe that dual band is the way to go for faster performance which i need as i stream alot of hd content online. I saw
    THis on Argos, any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance

Dual band does not necessarily mean faster performance. It provides the option to avoid interference by using 2 bands, one of which, the 5 ghz band is normally less likely to be used by neighbours and other devices like microwaves, baby monitors etc. The increase in performance comes from less interference, nothing else. If you currently have no interference then you have no gain against 2.4 band.
    The 5 ghz band signal is actually weaker than the normal 2.4 ghz band, especially through walls.

Having said all above, if you want a new router, the selected router is likely to be better than the one provided by Vodafone anyway. Can't beat a router with external antennas. I know from experience as my old Eircom Netopia 2247 from 2005 still gives better wireless G 2.4 signal than my Netgear Dual band WNDR3400 with internal antennas.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Munster D 187

Dual band does not necessarily mean faster performance. It provides the option to avoid interference by using 2 bands, one of which, the 5 ghz band is normally less likely to be used by neighbours and other devices like microwaves, baby monitors etc. The increase in performance comes from less interference, nothing else. If you currently have no interference then you have no gain against 2.4 band.
    The 5 ghz band signal is actually weaker than the normal 2.4 ghz band, especially through walls.

Having said all above, if you want a new router, the selected router is likely to be better than the one provided by Vodafone anyway. Can't beat a router with external antennas. I know from experience as my old Eircom Netopia 2247 from 2005 still gives better wireless G 2.4 signal than my Netgear Dual band WNDR3400 with internal antennas.

Thanks very much for your advice, so having a dual band router isn't necessary for hd streaming only if you suffer from interference. And actually I have an old eircom netopia 2247 router, so I'll connect that up instead, save myself some money :-).
    Would you be able to recommend a good wireless network pci adapter, or would USB be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Munster D 187

Thanks very much for your advice, so having a dual band router isn't necessary for hd streaming only if you suffer from interference. And actually I have an old eircom netopia 2247 router, so I'll connect that up instead, save myself some money :-).
    Would you be able to recommend a good wireless network pci adapter, or would USB be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Dual band not necessary. But a wireless N standard router and adaptor is strongly recommended . Maybe that is your mixup.

The Eircom router is only wireless a/b/g but try it and see how you get on.

A better solution though is wired via homeplugs if you don't need wireless.
    Something like this

http://www.dabs.ie/products/devolo-dlan--500-duo-starter-kit-8N0N.html?q=devolo&src=16

there are loads of variants, worth a bit of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Can you get eFibre broadband in you area as it uses a different type of modem (VDSL) so if you will be upgrading sometime soon I would be wary in spending money in an ADSL modem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement