Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting a diabetes test from my GP?

Options
  • 01-12-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi,

This is one board I thought I would never be posting in as I am a fit and healthy 22 year old. Anyway, I'm on the bus on my phone so I'll keep it short and sweet!!!

Long story short, I am showing an overwhelming amount of symptoms for type 1 Diabetes...and all these minute problems I have had the past years seem to have clicked in place and all point to diabetes, my question is,

can I go into my GP and just request a Diabetes test or is that too rude? I feel like its a bit short and rude to just go in and undermine him like that!

What is the proper etiquette?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Make an appointment, share all of your symptoms (maybe write them on a list?) and your doctor will take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 navono

Hi,

I was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 almost 10 years ago.
    Its in my family so my dad quickly recognised the onset by my symptoms. I went to GP described symptoms and he suggested sending me for a blood test. I'm sure if you go to your doc and describe how you are feeling he/she will offer a blood test, alternatively some chemists offer screening but I see this as pointless because if they test you and think you have it they will send you to doctor anyway!

Could I ask what your symptoms are?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

navono wrote: »

Could I ask what your symptoms are?

Cheers, I appreciate the response!

Extremely healthy diet with NO gluten, dairy, carbs, sugar, high Omega3-6 ratio, Only eat Anti-Inflammitory foods! Also taking mutivitimans, iron,calcium and zinc religiously!

After reading up on diabetes the past 2 weeks, I am starting to notice these symptoms are genuinely correlating with my carbs/sugar intake which makes me think that I'm not a "worried well"!

Textbook Symptoms

-Drinking water and urinating all day i.e. constant thirst(4l of water p/day)
    -Lost 25-30lbs in about 6months for no apparent reason
    -Often really bad fatigue which has escalated the past 4/5months. Comes and goes days at a time, in fact, I slept in for work today for the first time in 8 years!
    -Genuinely at times cannot eat enough to fill myself and when I do, a constant hungry crops up about 15minutes after the meal.
    -Flushed face after carbs/sugar along with stinging dry lips
    -When eat healthy with no carbs/sugar for a day, I get weak, anxious and nervous to a point where I am no longer comfortable walking to/from college in this state.
    -Numbness in feet and around toes(Although I put this down to commuting and sitting for long periods of time)

May/May Not be related

-Skin has gotten noticeably paler past 7/8months
    -Sometimes black-out for a few seconds and feel like I just woke up in a room!
    -Horrible cysts on my face which correlate with any carbs or sugar I eat. I researched this and found insulin production has an effect on acne which was actually the first time I connected Diabetes with my symptoms
    -Any carbs or sugar gives me horrible pain in stomach directly after eating. I had 3 Bon Bons the last day at work and felt sick. I cant even drink pints anymore without feeling sick.
    -Short stabs of blurred vision
    -The odd heart palpitations
    -The one that scares me the most is EXTREME loss in sex drive/libido the past 2/3months

I appreciate if you read this and to see if you can personally relate to any of these symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 navono

hiya,

Well here's my story regarding how I was before I was diagnosed;

I was always a thin girl but I got diabetes when I was just 19, I was about 7 1/2 stone but I just couldn't put on any weight, people thought I had an eating disorder and would make nasty comments because I was so thin, but this was down to being ill and not being treated. Once I was put on insulin I put on weight I'm about 8 1/2 stone now.The thirst was the worst! Like the worst hangover thirst all the time but it wasnt a hangover, urinating frequently, and feeling nausea and sweaty, I almost fainted one day my brother had to carry me home from our local supermarket at the time because I was so weak.I would eat and eat and eat and never feel full, people couldnt believe the amount I ate and how thin I stayed, I'm sure some people thought I was bulimic to be honest.

I am telling you my own experience to give you an insight. I'm not saying you have diabetes. You should go to the doctor, it may not be diabetes, could be something else, could be nothing, I'm not a doctor but the sooner you go and get these symptoms checked, the sooner you can relax one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orla.mccormack

It's always better to ask if you're concerned

• Advertisement
Advertisement