Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cyclist hints/ tips

Options
  • 01-12-2013 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi, new cyclist... Hoping to do Ring of Kerry 2014. Anyone got any hints for me? I bought a road bike but finding it difficult to get the hours in winter when it's dark so early. Doing x2 spin classes a week and then trying to get out at weekends for a longer cycle.

Any ideas about what else I should do

Also not sure what to wear? Most of my gym kit is 3/4 length trousers, and as it's getting colder I'm guess I will start to freeze soon! Do people wear special trousers? What about cycling shoes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

You're doing well considering the time of year.

Cycling shoes are not just shoes but are bought in conjunction with special pedals that they clip into. They are much more efficient, and in time you will be pulling up on the pedal which will help when it comes to hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Padded shorts/trousers are very useful, especially for a longer cycle like the RoK. You can get winter specific tights as well which are wind resistant, warm and dry quickly. For example:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-zero-padded-bib-tight/

The RoK isn't until July so even if you don't get out much during the winter you'll still have plenty of time to work up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

I'm trying. I've never done anything like RoK before and even though it's not till July I'm already terrified I won't be able for it. I'm a chronic asthmatic so need to make sure I build up to it!

Thanks Hivemind. Figure I'm getting cycling clothes for Xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

You're doing very well so far, proper shoes and cleats will make a huge difference once you get used to them. Once the new year kicks in it would do no harm to take part in a few sportives in your area,from about march onwards is when most leisurely sportives begin to happen, these will help you in getting ready on the day of a cycle, gauge you're fitness level and also getting used to cycling in groups which is a challenge in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Train your ass. Seriously. It's a hundred miles on a saddle, peddling. If you do not ride every week, even if it is for only 25-40 kms (one to one and a half hours) on weekends, and if you do not include at least one 100km cycle a month, if not twice a month, your ass will be sore by the time you get through the first 100kms. Spend the 60 bucks or so on a decent pair of padded bibs and cycle a lot! All you want to do is finish--you're not trying to win a race. The hills aren't that bad. Tackle as many hills as you can on your training cycles and don't try to measure yourself against the clock. Just find your pace and get up those hills. YOu will get faster and stronger with time. But if you don't train your butt, you will be miserable on the ROK.

Thanks all. I can't really do much until there is more daylight but will make sure to get out as much as I can at weekends. I'm really slow at the moment, didn't have a watch on today but last weekend I was about 20km in 1 hour which I figure will make ROK a long long day with breaks! I have a nice group but afraid I will be too slow for them (I'm abroad so can't train with them). Once I'm more confident I will join a local group for their long cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Can you cycle to work? To me that's the best way of keeping going, especially over the winter where you might be inclined to take shorter spins at the weekend. Some cycling clubs also do mid-week spins, if you find going out on your own in the dark intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Where abroad are you, and how cold is it going to get over the next few weeks? I'm abroad too, in a chilly part of central Europe, and I don't think I'm going to cycle over too many hills between now and the end of March (even though I suppose I could now that I've fitted 42 mm knobbly studded tyres). Even on the flat and with very little wind chill on Sunday evening, I found myself chucking hand-warmers into my mittens.

Last year I did a little bit of jogging (and dropped a few kg) in the winter and was happy with the level I had (not great, but better than ever before) when I got back to the bike in the spring. So I think I'll rinse and repeat. Elite or ambitious cyclists might not hang up their bikes for more than a week or two in a year, but if you just want to do the odd sportive in the summer and be fit enough to find it enjoyable and have a great day out, it doesn't really matter how (or even whether!) you keep fit over the winter. It's great that you're giving yourself loads of time to be prepared, but you don't absolutely have to cycle outside now or go to spinning classes or use a turbo trainer unless you feel like it and those options happen to suit. Even people who go into complete hibernation now will be fine by the summer, they just might not enjoy the first few weeks of the season as much.

Have fun with your new bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I started road cycling last year and cycled a few times a week 30-40km each time and after 2 months i did a 120km charity cycle and honestly i was bricking it leading up to it. I started off cycling with a group and after about 60km i felt they were a bit quick so i just went along at my own pace and finished (very sore and had cramps near the end), I then adjusted the bike to suit myself a bit and then did the 170km ROK with a friend of mine. I have to say it is one of the most fun days i have had on a bike as the day flys as there are thousands of people on the roads and the body survived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Thumbs up for RoK, one of the best sportives I've done this year.

While working on physical condition, you may also want to research and try the food, that will help you to get through. And as said earlier, it's not a race, many simply aim to set a better own time since last year and othera just enjoy it regardless.

It's a great social event.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

If you can't get out on your bike much then maybe a turbo trainer is the answer for you. The advantage over spinning is that you will get used of the feel of your own bike. Of course it is not as good as the real thing but might be worth considering.

It can be pretty boring on a turbo so following specific session plans is essential to ease the boredom. Initially the focus is for building up your aerobic endurance, this usually involves training in particular heartzones (60-80% MHR) so you will need to do some research on this and get yourself a heart rate monitor. There are also DVD's that you can watch some of which are very entertaining or you can even do some training while watching TV.

Best of luck in the ROK it's a great day out helped by great weather the last few years. There are also plenty of plans online that I have seen that help you prepare for it so check these out too and adapt them to your own situation.

Thanks so much everyone, im in UK so should not get too cold, I should still get some cycling in for most of winter, I cycle to work every day but it's only a mile and a half so it doesn't really count!! I will def keep the gym work going as I need to lose quite a but of weight and that would help get me better set up for next summer. And I will have a look at turbo trainer. Appreciate all the hints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Thanks so much everyone, im in UK so should not get too cold, I should still get some cycling in for most of winter, I cycle to work every day but it's only a mile and a half so it doesn't really count!! I will def keep the gym work going as I need to lose quite a but of weight and that would help get me better set up for next summer. And I will have a look at turbo trainer. Appreciate all the hints :)
    Remember, you can always take "the scenic route" to and from work. :)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Remember, you can always take "the scenic route" to and from work. :)

I have so much trouble getting out of bed to get there on time on a normal day I don't think I can. In my next life I want to be a morning person!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have so much trouble getting out of bed to get there on time on a normal day I don't think I can. In my next life I want to be a morning person!!

Well, take the scenic route home then! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Hi there , I did the ROK last year with a months training and the most I had ever done was 60k , albeit a long day (left at 6am home at 6pm ) I got around it and you will too, you're never last , there are so many people on the road , a few bits if it alright all I wanted to do was cry :D but once you cross the finish line it makes it all worthwhile , in fact I tried another charity cycle a few weeks after and I had to turn around the pace was too fast and it was only 90k the ROK you can mope away at your dead one, wasn't going to do it this year as I wanted to try something different instead but now that the memories are coming back I think I just might :),

Don't worry about it and try and enjoy the cycling training/day out , it's not all about the speed and best of luck with everything !

Advertisement