Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling shoes and pedals/cleats

Options
  • 01-12-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭

Hi, gonna make the move to getting proper cycling shoes and pedals.
    Will be getting them as a Christmas present.

Any recommendations for a decent pair for around the €120 mark for shoes, pedals and cleats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

To avoid any confusion you should clarify if you're going for SPD's or SPD SL's.

SPD - cleat is recessed in the shoe allowing easier walking (and often favoured by first timers).

SPD SL - cleat is not recessed making walking more difficult and caused wear to the cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

To avoid any confusion you should clarify if you're going for SPD's or SPD SL's.

SPD - cleat is recessed in the shoe allowing easier walking (and often favoured by first timers).

SPD SL - cleat is not recessed making walking more difficult and caused wear to the cleats.

Cool.
    I'll go for the SPD ones then.
    I know very little about them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thanks for the recommendation.
    I commute on my road bike, 10km each way Mon-Fri and do a long spin most weekends.
    Averaging 150-200km per week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Okey dokey, ignore what I suggested then! Instead I'd go for something like this.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/northwave-drifter-gtx-2013/rp-prod58523

SPDs are better for commuting, easier to clip in and out and easier to walk around with.

Carbon soles are fantastic, very comfy for riding clipped in. Also gore-tex upper, so in theory it should be warmer and drier on bad days. Whatever you do, don't buy white :D

• Advertisement

If you occasionally use your bike with ordinary footwear, you can also get SPD pedals which are flat on one side with SPD on the other.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m324-clipless-spd-flat-mtb-pedals/rp-prod5937

great.

Thanks for your help.

Ive ordered the shoes and the pedals.
    Is that all I need?
    Very new to this so sorry for all the questions

That was quick!

Make sure you grease the threads of the new pedals before attaching (makes it much easier to remove them again).

Are you familiar with pedal threads and the fact that they don't screw on/screw off like normal threads?

No, I'm not much of a bike mechanic.

I've watched two videos on youtube of greasing the pedals now so I'll be sure to do it when they arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

No, I'm not much of a bike mechanic.

I've watched two videos on youtube of greasing the pedals now so I'll be sure to do it when they arrive.

Right pedal is normal, tightens clockwise.
    Left tightens anti clockwise.

Copper grease, but any grease will help when they have to come off.

• Advertisement

Removing Pedals:

Turn both pedal nuts backwards towards the rear of the bike (assuming the bike is the right way up). Old pedals can be very difficult to remove (hence need for greasing when initially attaching them). Usually require a 15mm spanner and may require extra leverage and a dose of expletives!

Attaching Pedals:

Turn both pedal nuts forwards towards front of bike (assuming bike is right way up). Make sure they are greased. No need to tighten them much.

FORWARD - ON
    BACKWARDS - OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

great.

Thanks for your help.

Ive ordered the shoes and the pedals.
    Is that all I need?
    Very new to this so sorry for all the questions

You're worse that me for "pulling the trigger", so to speak. :)

Did you try on a set of shoes in any shop to make sure you have the size correct? Depending on the manufacturer the sizing can vary or so I have found.

I have a similar set of those dual pedals. I'd highly recommend them.

I am currently building up the bravery to actually clip into them :o

So three weeks ago I set about training myself. This is kind of embarrassing but I am currently pretending that I am clipped in and following the normal clipped in procedure when stopping, as in twisting my left foot out to "unclip"

I really don't fancy keeling over in error, which I am assured by everyone who cycles, is inevitable.

Did you try on a set of shoes in any shop to make sure you have the size correct? Depending on the manufacturer the sizing can vary or so I have found.

So three weeks ago I set about training myself. This is kind of embarrassing but I am currently pretending that I am clipped in and following the normal clipped in procedure when stopping, as in twisting my left foot out to "unclip"

I really don't fancy keeling over in error, which I am assured by everyone who cycles, is inevitable.

Make the leap! You'll never go back, it's much more comfortable.

Btw I've been riding clipless for about 2 years now, never keeled over on the road, mountain-biking incidents don't count :cool:

......I am currently building up the bravery to actually clip into them :o

Nothing to be afraid of. SPD's are quite easy. Try SPD SL's in heavy stop/start city traffic with errant pedestrians!!

To make it easier for you you should loosen the springs with an Allen key (2 or 3mm) until they release very easily. You can then gradually tighten them as you get more confident. You won't look back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Started off with those cleats. Very easy to get used to. Have to 105 version now. Next summer hoping to get the vector via the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yeah, I've trained myself to unclip one foot and switch to the flat side of the pedal in traffic, so unplanned stops can go well.

Had a work colleage break both his elbows in the first week of SPD use (gliding casually to a stop at lights, then falling over elbow-first, not fun). Cautionary tales help :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

You will need a bit of practice. Take your bike to a park and practice on the grass that way if you fall over you will have a softer landing.

It is very common to fall off when using clip ins for the first time. It happens when you are coming to a stop and you either forget to clip out in time and fall over or you can't clip out because pedal mechanism is too tight and need to be loosened or you clip out out on one side and then fall over on the side you are clipped in on.

So you need to be very clear about how you will come to a stop and always do it that way. e.g. always clip out on your left side and as you come to a stop put your your left foot down to support youself. In this case you right foot remains clipped in until you are stopped then it can then be safely unclipped. If you prefer to always clip out on the right then that is fine also but you need to be consistent.

Once you get your stopping procedure clear you shouldn't have any further issues. So take 10 or 15 minute in the park to get the hang of it and you'll be grand.

Great advice.
    Cheers

Advertisement