Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else here into vintage?

Options
  • 01-12-2013 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I really love the 50's and 60's, not sure why, maybe it's the music and the sense of romance that goes with it ? like a lot of period dramas set in that era too. But very interested in the style of Downtown Abbey too. I'm wondering whether anyone else feels similar? and if they know of any good vintage forums or shops?.

I'm also trying to research Roman cosmetics for a course I'm doing with a museum. There's a few pieces in the collection and I'm trying to develop a story for them. Would anyone here be willing to take a look at the photo and share their opinions as to how they might have been used?.

Anyway I know this post is somewhat random,, and not the norm here, but I hope that's ok.:)

Hope all are feeling well today

F :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Yes, its very popular to be into Downton Abbey etc at the moment. There are lots of vintage stores in Dublin:

https://www.facebook.com/ShotsyVintage?fref=ts
    https://www.facebook.com/t3rdpoliceman?fref=ts
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Harlequin/502069575532?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I studied Greek & Roman civilizations in college so would love to see the photos of the cosmetics! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Ok Bnagrrl see what you think of these , the two lower one's are make up implements, what do you think they might have been used for? stirring and application? made from bronze with a mould?.Thanks :)tuq6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I think the top one looks like it might have been used for stirring/mixing up pastes for make up or masks...

The bottom one looks a little like a kohl applicator I remember seeing in a book once :) but maybe it's also some kind of mixing apparatus?

Sorry I'm not ,uch help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

ah it's ok Brgrlll I don't know much myself, but it's the job of the historian to try to , I shouldn't say invent, but find something to say !:) will probably have to go into the use of make up in general in ancient Rome.

Sut was used as mascara , rust as blusher for anyone interested in trying it today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Huckster

I like vintage because it seems the only way to get a skirt of a decent length these days without massive slits up the side or see through chiffon with a mini underneath. Just classy, durable clothing- wish I could say that about the highstreet

Huckster wrote: »
    I like vintage because it seems the only way to get a skirt of a decent length these days without massive slits up the side or see through chiffon with a mini underneath. Just classy, durable clothing- wish I could say that about the highstreet

I like vintage for the quality materials. Dislike the high street for made in china sweaty polyester tat at prices comparable to what our mums paid for clothing made in ireland or the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/junecollins/3490258081/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/junecollins/3490980970/

Two vintage dresses that I got specially made. Got the patterns from Vogue in the USA--, the fabric in Clonmel and a dressmaker in Dublin made them for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Vogue patterns are dangerous, I want them all, even researching the blocks used will not give then same feeling to the design that the Vogue patterns gives. They are fab, so jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

I like vintage for the quality materials. Dislike the high street for made in china sweaty polyester tat at prices comparable to what our mums paid for clothing made in ireland or the uk.

I used to have a thing against polyester, but there is actually so many different finishes to it, and in a way, it can be far more practical and flattering than natural materials. It most certainly doesn't always look cheap! And I find that a lot of vintage clothes are polyester-heavy anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I love Shutterbug in Kilkenny. Fabulous shop with plenty of vintage clothing. I find it well priced too.

I used to have a thing against polyester, but there is actually so many different finishes to it, and in a way, it can be far more practical and flattering than natural materials. It most certainly doesn't always look cheap! And I find that a lot of vintage clothes are polyester-heavy anyway.

Not all vintage clothes - the vintage in a lot of shops is polyester heavy, especially if its from the 1970s and 1980s (since its rise in popularity in the 1960s). For workwear I'm all for the wash and wear, but on days I want to dress up I love wearing a brightly printed vintage cotton or linen dress.

Not all vintage clothes - the vintage in a lot of shops is polyester heavy, especially if its from the 1970s and 1980s (since its rise in popularity in the 1960s). For workwear I'm all for the wash and wear, but on days I want to dress up I love wearing a brightly printed vintage cotton or linen dress.

I dunno, some of my nicest items of clothing are polyester, or poly/cotton mixes. Polyester can be awful, but it can also be very pleasing visually and to the touch. It gets a bad press, which I think is a tad unfair.

I dunno, some of my nicest items of clothing are polyester, or poly/cotton mixes. Polyester can be awful, but it can also be very pleasing visually and to the touch. It gets a bad press, which I think is a tad unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

One of my greatest regrets is that I never learned to sew. If I could, I would have every Vogue vintage pattern and my wardrobe would be full full of the prettiest of 50's/60's gowns and dresses. I'd have them made from the richest of cotton, linen fabrics, all with silk habitue lining.
    I love clothes that fall well on the body, with plenty of volume that suit the ''non body con'' type like myself. I totally dislike the tight skirts and dresses with slits and splits all over the place and made of the flimsiest of see through material.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its never too late to learn!!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Have a Vivien of Holloway 50s-style dress that I absolutely love. The style is insanely flattering to hourglass figures and I get loads of compliments when I wear it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Inherited a few dresses from my late mother from the 50's-60's but she only had a 22-23 inch waist then so can not fit them, in storage for my daughter when she gets older...

Agree with rainbow kirby about Vivien of Holloway 50s-style dresses and other similar brands.

Advertisement