Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non polyurethane varnish

Options
  • 30-11-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get non polyurethane varnish in Dublin.. around Tallaght would be great.

I've a wooden table that kids will be using and I don't want to use normal varnish.

I went into woodies / b and q and they have no clue what i'm asking for.

anyone know anywhere ? .. and the name of some in Ireland.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Water based varnish suit you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

does that fade over time ?

Is it non toxic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

NeVeR wrote: »
    does that fade over time ?

Is it non toxic ?

I don't know if it's non toxic but I doubt it would do any harm to kids unless they are eating or drinking it.

I don't know if it's non toxic but I doubt it would do any harm to kids unless they are eating or drinking it.

Well they might be.. thats why I was told to use Non polyurethane.

thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Well they might be.. thats why I was told to use Non polyurethane.

thanks for the reply.

;) I think you are making trouble for yourself. Polyurethane is perfectly safe for a kitchen table when dried. It also mellows over a few month to a golden colour. I'd get a good brand ( avoid the heavy 'honeysyrup' types )
    Think of all the commercial furniture finished with per-cat lacquers which also have nasty chemicals in them.
    Water based varnishes don't seem to have a depth of finish - they stay a pale colour and won't deepen endgrain - I could never get a good quality finish from them.

• Advertisement

Hey.

See i'm not looking for it to change colour.

I want it to stay clear, My G/F has painted tables for kids.. these tables are for 2 -4 year old kids and have stuff like Minnie Mouse on it and Batman etc. with nice colours.

She is looking for something to protect the tables from spills etc. And also keep it's vivid colour.

Hey.

See i'm not looking for it to change colour.

I want it to stay clear, My G/F has painted tables for kids.. these tables are for 2 -4 year old kids and have stuff like Minnie Mouse on it and Batman etc. with nice colours.

She is looking for something to protect the tables from spills etc. And also keep it's vivid colour.

Fair enough, I think acrylic ( water based ) varnish is your best bet. Ronseal market it under 'quick drying' varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

You might consider a waterbased lacquer. I use Becker Acroma for both brush and sprayer work and highly recommend it..... also it's cheaper per liter than ronseal, last time I looked Ronseal was about €45 for 2.5 liters (€18/L) as opposed to the Beckers at €62 for 5 Liters (€13/L).
    And even handier Becer Acroma/Sherwin Williams are close to you in Ballymount.

http://www.beckeracroma.com/en/Ireland/start/

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

You might consider a waterbased lacquer. I use Becker Acroma for both brush and sprayer work and highly recommend it..... also it's cheaper per liter than ronseal, last time I looked Ronseal was about €45 for 2.5 liters (€18/L) as opposed to the Beckers at €62 for 5 Liters (€13/L).
    And even handier Becer Acroma/Sherwin Williams are close to you in Ballymount.

http://www.beckeracroma.com/en/Ireland/start/

I have been searching for a water based lacquer for ages but nobody seems to carry this and not a clue when I ask, where can I buy? can this be applied with a brush? and can it be applied directly onto dye timber or does it need a sealer?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

I have been searching for a water based lacquer for ages but nobody seems to carry this and not a clue when I ask, where can I buy? can this be applied with a brush? and can it be applied directly onto dye timber or does it need a sealer?

Thanks

Becker Acroma have a trade counter, so you can get it directly..... they do take phone orders and do deliver.
    These lacquers can be applied directly onto bare or dyed timber, with a light sand between coats.

• Advertisement

Becker Acroma have a trade counter, so you can get it directly..... they do take phone orders and do deliver.
    These lacquers can be applied directly onto bare or dyed timber, with a light sand between coats.

:D Eh..........you will have to buy a minimium of five litres. Not even sure you can brush them on and they need an acrylic basecoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

What I want to do is replace some end panels on an existing kitchen that have gone a total different colour to the solid wood and will dye the veneer mdf with a dye but need advice as to what is best to coat it with, it is a solvent based dye, should I use lacquer, water based clear varnish or an oil based clear varnish? Any advice welcome.

Advertisement