Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non drinkers going on a J1 Visa.?

Options
  • 30-11-2013 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Well lads,

This is my first post with boards.ie or any online thread actually, Im 21 and in my final year of college, I stopped drinking around 8 months ago, it was beginning to take control and get the best out of me, that would be putting it very mildly, giving it up was the best thing I've ever done. Anyway at the minute some of my friend is asking me to go on a J1 with him and some of his friends. We would be fairly good friends but he has no real idea of my story with drink. Im kinda of torn at the minute , in one way I really wanna go and get out of Ireland for a summer but on another hand I wouldn't be able to go over there and live in a drink den for 3 months , that would be the last thing Id want. So I was talking to a family member that I would be very close with and we discussed maybe going with other non drinkers to the states, so I'm wondering would you guys know of anyone that is in a similar boat or where would be the best place to post this message, obviously before we went we d have to get to know each other and see would it work, Im just very unsure of going over there with drinkers, its not as such my the friends thats going over is a heavy drinker but its the fact that we would meet lots of irish and the group that we d be meeting would be heavy drinkers aswell, the last thing I'd want is to be just siiting around watching lads get drunk for three months.. So if ye could give me any advice or know of anyone in a similar position with the j1 that would be great

cheers lads.!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

JACKtipp1 wrote: »
    Well lads,

This is my first post with boards.ie or any online thread actually, Im 21 and in my final year of college, I stopped drinking around 8 months ago, it was beginning to take control and get the best out of me, that would be putting it very mildly, giving it up was the best thing I've ever done. Anyway at the minute some of my friend is asking me to go on a J1 with him and some of his friends. We would be fairly good friends but he has no real idea of my story with drink. Im kinda of torn at the minute , in one way I really wanna go and get out of Ireland for a summer but on another hand I wouldn't be able to go over there and live in a drink den for 3 months , that would be the last thing Id want. So I was talking to a family member that I would be very close with and we discussed maybe going with other non drinkers to the states, so I'm wondering would you guys know of anyone that is in a similar boat or where would be the best place to post this message, obviously before we went we d have to get to know each other and see would it work, Im just very unsure of going over there with drinkers, its not as such my the friends thats going over is a heavy drinker but its the fact that we would meet lots of irish and the group that we d be meeting would be heavy drinkers aswell, the last thing I'd want is to be just siiting around watching lads get drunk for three months.. So if ye could give me any advice or know of anyone in a similar position with the j1 that would be great

cheers lads.!

Hi Jack,
    I went on a j1 to NYC last year with my gf. I don't drink so I was more interested in seeing the place and doing new stuff. We moved in with other Irish people. All they did was work and drink. I couldn't see the sense in it. There were times were I had to drink with them. Complete peer pressure. Having my gf there made it easier to say no we are going out etc. If I was you id try find some like minded people. I can confidently say that I saw more of nyc than 99% of j1s last year. If you have to resort to going with the drinkers I think your fears will be realised! I hope you find a good crowd to go with. It is a great experience and you will never forget it. Any questions at all just send me a pm.

Advertisement