Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a postcard translated from German!

Options
  • 29-11-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We were clearing out some old photo frames and found this postcard behind one of the frames from a POW prisoner sent to our grandad a translation would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

We were clearing out some old photo frames and found this postcard behind one of the frames from a POW prisoner sent to our grandad a translation would be greatly appreciated

From what I can decipher (since it is some old german handwriting):

'I am sending all my best wishes to you from Germany. (Alois Hans, the name of the guy who wrote the postcard) 22 years have passed ever since, but I could not find your address.

The rest seems to be in English, and it mentions a POW camp in the Suez Canal.

By the way, it shows a motive from my hometown Dortmund (the 'Westfalenhalle), but it was sent from a town nearby called Datteln (address 'Dortmunder Strasse 29')

Hope, that was of any help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LiamBowesBJJ

Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

That's an interesting postcard.

As Lars already translated, it's
    "Best wishes from Germany ... 22 years have passed ever since, but I could not find your address."

"You remember 112 MV Suez Canal POW."
    The next sentence is hard to decipher, looks like "I wish you well".
    Then: Your fellow Alois Hans.

Since Alois wrote part of it in English I guess it might be an English/Irish co-prisoner (fellow) he got friendly with and they probably learned bits of each others language.

Interesting story behind it. Do you know more?

Advertisement