Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting literary job

Options
  • 29-11-2013 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

I thought this might be of interest to some here.

The Irish Writers Centre is looking for a General Manager.

http://www.childrensbooksireland.ie/blog/irish-writers-centre-seek-general-manager/

To put it mildly the money is not great, certainly not a match for the required skills and responsibilities. However, someone might be able to afford to take on such a role. It would be great if one could match their job with their interests.

Alas, the salary rules me out... but, if I'd won the lottery it might be a different story. Of course I'd have to actually buy a ticket for that to happen.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

smcgiff wrote: »
    Alas, the salary rules me out..

Maybe you could get somebody to top it up.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

echo beach wrote: »
    Maybe you could get somebody to top it up.:)

A literary sugar mamma?

I'm listening...:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A manager on 22k, yowch

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Are those skills so different from what the head of Rehab requires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Shocking salary, but looks like an interesting job. And at least they know that whoever ends up taking the position will have a genuine passion for the role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

vitani wrote: »
    Shocking salary, but looks like an interesting job. And at least they know that whoever ends up taking the position will have a genuine passion for the role.

I don't agree. Working for a low wage doesn't prove passion it only proves that you don't have any other options. As soon as a better chance comes along they will move on and may well spend a good part of the working day looking for a better paid job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Perhaps it's all they can pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

echo beach wrote: »
    I don't agree. Working for a low wage doesn't prove passion it only proves that you don't have any other options. As soon as a better chance comes along they will move on and may well spend a good part of the working day looking for a better paid job.

This job is unlikely to go to someone that has been previously on a lot higher salary and is looking to get back to work as your scenario is the most likely outcome.

They're banking on someone that's already had their career or someone that's very financially secure (someone that's married a wealthy spouse for example) and looking for a project. And best of luck to them.

Advertisement