Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Simple insurance claim - strangely still open!

Options
  • 29-11-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,

A couple years ago, my car was hit on the side by an uninsured driver who left his parking spot without looking. The police came, took all the information from me and from the other driver and wrote their report.

Should be a simple insurance case, right? Apparently not...

2 years after, my insurance company still has this claim open. I have heard all kinds of excuses ("we haven't managed to get the report from the Gardai") despite me providing them the details of the other driver and the officer on the scene over and over. It has come to the point that my premium is now going up instead of down (800 in the year of the accident, 650 the next, 1000 this year!!!) and, of course, most other companies refuse to cover me because of my open claim.

I've tried contacting MIBI, but their response was, because I had comprehensive insurance, to deal with the insurance company.

What can I do? Can someone please give me some advice? Should I go and spend more money on a solicitor or perhaps contact http://www.financialombudsman.ie/ and file a complain?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Contacting the ombudsman was my first thought. MIBI claims can be slow and tedious, but it seems that your insurance company isnt making much of an effort (a more cynical person may read into the fact that its in their interests to keep the claim open as it means you cant move insurer and they can charge what they like...) The ombudsman should give them a bit of a kick up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

Thanks for the suggestion! Maybe in the meantime I should go with something like xsdirect for insurance, so that my current company realize they won't be getting any more money for me?

Advertisement