Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparing 2 Options

Options
  • 29-11-2013 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for a quick bit of advice when comparing options. Am looking to take advantage of a Dell computer today as have a discount voucher plus it's Black Friday. It's to replace a netbook I've been using at home which is dated and I think runs Windows 7, but chugs along. I'm looking to get Windows 8 plus touch screen. Main purpose will be web browsing / spreadsheets / powerpoint.

Option 1 - Inspiron 15R at € 699 pre discount. Touch version has i5-4200U, 8GB DDR3, 1TB, DVDRW, Intel HD Graphics 4400 (whatever that is!), Windows 8.1.

Option 2 - Inspiron 15 at € 499 pre discount. Touch version has i3-3217U, 4GB DDR3, 500GB, DVDRW, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (again, no clue!), Windows 8.

Main question is whether option 1 is overkill for my requirements or if option 2 is more than enough? Should I really be opting with 1 to futureproof?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

g0g wrote: »
    Hi, looking for a quick bit of advice when comparing options. Am looking to take advantage of a Dell computer today as have a discount voucher plus it's Black Friday. It's to replace a netbook I've been using at home which is dated and I think runs Windows 7, but chugs along. I'm looking to get Windows 8 plus touch screen. Main purpose will be web browsing / spreadsheets / powerpoint.

Option 1 - Inspiron 15R at € 699 pre discount. Touch version has i5-4200U, 8GB DDR3, 1TB, DVDRW, Intel HD Graphics 4400 (whatever that is!), Windows 8.1.

Option 2 - Inspiron 15 at € 499 pre discount. Touch version has i3-3217U, 4GB DDR3, 500GB, DVDRW, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (again, no clue!), Windows 8.

Main question is whether option 1 is overkill for my requirements or if option 2 is more than enough? Should I really be opting with 1 to futureproof?

Thanks! :)

If you've no clue about the integrated graphics then I presume gaming isn't a concern?
    The second one whould do if all you're doing is browsing, listening to music etc.

More importantly, don't colour the font silver, it's really hard to read ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

mordeith wrote: »
    If you've no clue about the integrated graphics then I presume gaming isn't a concern?
    The second one whould do if all you're doing is browsing, listening to music etc.

More importantly, don't colour the font silver, it's really hard to read ;)

Thanks! We're still on XP in work and an old version of IE, so when I post the background in the text field is white so I need to switch font to black to see what I type then I often get the colour wrong when switching back after! :)

No unfortunately my gaming days are on hold at the moment. That said, I still want to be sure it'll be perfectly smooth with W8, youtube clips in HD, HD videos, excel/word/powerpoint.

Half tempted now by the 15 7000, but that's overkill! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

g0g wrote: »
    Thanks! We're still on XP in work and an old version of IE, so when I post the background in the text field is white so I need to switch font to black to see what I type then I often get the colour wrong when switching back after! :)up

No unfortunately my gaming days are on hold at the moment. That said, I still want to be sure it'll be perfectly smooth with W8, youtube clips in HD, HD videos, excel/word/powerpoint.

Half tempted now by the 15 7000, but that's overkill! :pac:

The CPUs in both are pretty poor, especially the second one. I'd go for a proper laptop at those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

mordeith wrote: »
    The CPUs in both are pretty poor, especially the second one. I'd go for a proper laptop at those prices.

What would you define as a "proper" laptop?

Having thought about it again I'm looking to go with a 15R with 8GB / 1TB / i7 4500U. It says 4th generation - is this a reasonably recent and future-proof processor?

Advertisement