Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent inexpensive phone?

Options
  • 29-11-2013 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Looking for a decent inexpensive android phone for my father for xmass.

He's been using a sony experia with a slide out keyboard and android 2.3 (or something) for the past few years so after something that will go another couple years.

He said he liked the size of the HTC Wildfire but having used one I don't think he'll be to happy with it.

I just came across the new Moto G which looks pretty good but it might be a little on the big side for him. Likewise for the Experia M/J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've the Note 2 which is 5.55 inches and I don't think it is too big, tbh I would never go back to a smaller phone and I think your father would get used to the moto G fairly quickly. I'd say give it another year or too and all phones will be 5-6 inches even budget phones which are still small now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Phones do seem to be growing in size again. I've a nexus 4 and I find it pretty fine.

What about the Galaxy 3 mini, would it be decent enough to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

jozi wrote: »
    Phones do seem to be growing in size again. I've a nexus 4 and I find it pretty fine.

What about the Galaxy 3 mini, would it be decent enough to?

S 3 mini is kinda old now. I don't know if it will even get 4.4 officially. I would go with the moto G if I was you. It is planned to get kit kat, and also all reviews have been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I've the Note 2 which is 5.55 inches and I don't think it is too big, tbh I would never go back to a smaller phone and I think your father would get used to the moto G fairly quickly. I'd say give it another year or too and all phones will be 5-6 inches even budget phones which are still small now.

Even though I I have the Note 2, and I love it, I think 5" is the limit for the mainstream of smartphone users, but the Moto G is a hell of a phone for the price, thats the one for your Dad OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Yeah pretty sure it will be a moto g and we'll let him complain about how big it is for awhile :p

Just waiting for Tesco to get it in stock again or I'll have to try find another place to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 arienlass

anyone know anything about the Huawei Y300 smartphone, its only 80e?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

arienlass wrote: »
    anyone know anything about the Huawei Y300 smartphone, its only 80e?

These guys know all about that device, loads of info, ROM's, unlocking bootloader, Network/SIM unlock, etc, etc.

http://www.modaco.com/forum/736-huawei-ascend-g510-orange-daytona-y300/

Development thread here, for latest ROM's, etc:

http://www.modaco.com/forum/743-huawei-ascend-g510-development/

• Registered Users Posts: 29 arienlass

do you know if its a good fone tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

arienlass wrote: »
    do you know if its a good fone tho?

Dunno, haven't got one, but those guys on Modaco will get the best out of it...

do you have one?? My missus is still using the G300, which would be lower spec, with a Stock+ ROM, and it's flying for her....

it really depends what it is you will be using the phone for...

I'd suggest doing a little research on Modaco, and possibly on XDA, as that is where most of us on here get our info.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

The Y300 does all the basics. Nothing fancy.

It'll play most games - I run Castle Clash and it is fine 85% of the time with the occasional stutter; I've found the screen a decent size for watching Breaking Bad and youtube as well as browsing the internet and its got a front facing camera for skype, while the back one is fairly decent and comes with a flash which helps a bit in low light situations i.e. the pub.

Tbh, I doubt you'll find any other Android close to it at that price - those sub-€100 Samsung, Sony* and Alcatel phones are usually slow to do anything, and will have you throwing your phone at a wall in frustration. I hate my fiance's Xperia J with a passion: everything lags compared to my phone, especially the camera.

I've had problems with my speaker and front facing camera during calls but that's probably just my phone (I haven't got it repaired as I've rooted it/laziness). My brother got one for his missus and she's delighted with it too: she got it after a Vodafone smart and is much impressed with it.

The best thing about it is you can get it unlocked for about €5 online. I bought mine from emobile and was on Tesco the day after.

Tl; dr - The y300 is a great phone for the price.

*Sony are the Antichrist of the smartphone world. Don't ever buy a Sony phone. Seriously, fcuk those guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Moto G without a doubt is the best bang for buck phone you can get now. If I hadn't already bought a Nexus 5, I would have bought it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

The Wildfire's screen is 2.8", what makes you think he'd want a screen almost double that if he said he likes the size of the Wildfire? :confused:

Advertisement