Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chair legs curves

Options
  • 29-11-2013 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

My question is about curves on solid wood chairs ,This one has been in the back of my mind for a long time

Basically , are the the legs generally cut to shape or steam bent .
    For example
    http://www.finelinefurniture.com/pages/Chairs-Pages/Chairs-Pages-Index.html

Are the curves on these chairs most likely to be cut and if so is there a method anyone could recommend?
    I would imagine bending would not give the repeatable , reliable results required for making chairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The best way is to cut them out of a wide board, thick enough to give the required dimensions.( You maintain colour and grain consistency doing this ) I use an mdf template to mark out and then template rout the components to a finished size. Laminating timber doesn't look too good and steam bending is unreliable. You will need a Bandsaw and 1/2" router in a table to do this - unless you have a well equipped workshop with a spindle moulder etc.
    In general its best to stick with a straight grained, strong timber like beech,maple or oak.

Advertisement