Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship Ticket Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

66dunaras wrote: »
    :DHi Folks,

Would really appreciate it if you could help a clueless gf out :rolleyes:

I'm trying to buy tickets for my boyfriend for Xmas to the quarter finals of the snooker World Championships in April.
    https://www.sheffieldboxoffice.com/sheffieldtheatreswsc/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=1436C979-7373-45EC-97CA-99D2680D6F16&sessionlanguage=

Can someone please explain the fixtures above to me?! What tickets should I be booking? Am I right in saying not to just book at 7pm session because it could be very short if theres only one or to frames left to win? How do I know what sessions are the same match?

Thank you in advance and apologies for my ignorance
    :D

the quarter finals are scheduled for 3 sessions in each match but as you already understand the third session might be very short or possibly not needed at all, alternatively the third session in a close match will be the most exciting.

they dont play all three sessions of a match in one day, thats why its a bit more difficult to work out the fixtures / tickets.

the first 2 matches will play 2 sessions on the tuesday and then one session on the wednesday.
    the other 2 matches will only play one session on the tuesday and then 2 sessions on the wednesday.

there will be 2 tables in the arena for the quarter finals, so 2 matches will be going on at the same time. so if one match does finish early you will be able to watch the other one.
    so i think its worth going to the third sessions.

2 matches will start at 10am on tuesday 29th for their first session,
    then the other 2 matches will start at 2:30 for their first session,
    then at 7pm the first 2 matches will be back on for their second session.

on wednesday the 30th in the 10am session you will have one match playing its third session and the other match playing its second session.
    then at 2:30 again one match will be in its second session and the other match will be in its third session - they mix them up so you will definitely have at least one match going on even if the other finishes early.
    then at 7pm the 2 remaining matches will play their third session.

it still probably isnt very clear and maybe somebody else can try to explain it a bit better.

if you are only going to go to one session then wednesday 30th at 7pm is the one i would go for with only a slight chance of no snooker at all if both matches finished early :eek: dont worry - very unlikely.

my next choice would be wednesday at 2:30.
    then wednesday 10am.
    the 7pm session on tuesday would also be good.

are you going to go to both of the quarter final days ?
    how many sessions do you want to go to ?
    do you want to see one match in full from start to finish ? all three sessions of it ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

66dunaras wrote: »
    :DHi Folks,

Would really appreciate it if you could help a clueless gf out :rolleyes:

I'm trying to buy tickets for my boyfriend for Xmas to the quarter finals of the snooker World Championships in April.
    https://www.sheffieldboxoffice.com/sheffieldtheatreswsc/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=1436C979-7373-45EC-97CA-99D2680D6F16&sessionlanguage=

Can someone please explain the fixtures above to me?! What tickets should I be booking? Am I right in saying not to just book at 7pm session because it could be very short if theres only one or to frames left to win? How do I know what sessions are the same match?

Thank you in advance and apologies for my ignorance
    :D

Well until the draw/seedings are made for the WC you wont know what players are likely to make it to which quarter, but the cream always rises to the top there.

Don't be put off by the 7pm sessions, especially at the quarter finals. Most matches at The Crucible are close enough and even if your table does finish early, once the partition is lifted you get a great view of the other table regardless of where you're sitting thanks to the intimate layout.

On the Tuesday (29th) you're guaranteed 8 frames per table per session (as no match is played to a finish). It's only the Wednesday (30th) @ 2.30pm & 7pm where the QF's will all be played to a finish, but they can be the most nail-biting & exciting sessions to watch and they generally have the best atmosphere, although with all sessions being full houses in The Crucible it doesn't matter quite as much, but the surrounding pubs get nice and busy when the evening sessions finish.

It really depends on how many sessions you would like to go to and your budget, but if you went for the 10am & 7pm sessions for both days (on table 1 for one day & table 2 for the other day) you would be certain of seeing all the quarter finalists play.

A big must though, is to go over to the Winter Gardens in the afternoons directly across from The Crucible. This is where the BBC's open studio and the Q-Zone are and where you can play games and challenges on the championship table set-up next to the BBC set free of charge for young and old. (And get your Face on TV)

This could be ideal if you went with the 10am & 7pm scenario and wanted to dump the boyfriend there for the afternoon while you check out the shops and stuff (If you fancy a break from the Snooker).

If you haven't been to Sheffield before, it's a fantastic city to visit and they really embrace the snooker-goers. Accommodation in Sheffield is plentiful and due to the central location of The Crucible your always nearby to your hotel, pubs & shops.

If you'd like any more info, just ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭66dunaras

Thanks a million for both of your replies- they made the whole thing a lot clearer

I went with your advice and booked Wed 230 and 7pm for a few reasons- they had more seats available and it means we can go over on Wed morning so less accommodation costs.

I still don't know whether or not I have just picked two completely different matchs but sure...its all snooker to me :D

Advertisement