Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sequencing and production with analogue equipment

Options
  • 28-11-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

How's it going, few questions that I thought people here might be able to answer for me, googling hasn't turned up any useful results.

I'm planning on getting an analogue drum machine (http://www.korg.com/volcaseries) for myself for christmas and also a synthesizer from the korg volca range, they're great value and have outstanding reviews and I've always wanted to produce house/techno. Now I understand in order to use the two together I need a mixer. I already have a pioneer dj mixer with 2 channels which I could use and it has a master output obviously which I could route to my computer. I also have a traktor audio 6 soundcard and M-Audio 8 inch monitors. My question is, how do I go about actually sequencing and producing a track in say abelton? The the sound coming from the drum machine would be a single stream of audio, and the synthesizer also. How would I sequence each seperately and use effects and oscillators and compressors and whatnot on each invidivual component. How would I record the sound adequately? I'm not sure if the question makes sense but I hope someone can help. Maybe rephrasing the question, what would be the usual way a producer would sequence and record and compile an analogue house/techno track?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

MIDI out of the sequencer of the DAW to the hardware and audio back into the audio interface and record the output of the machines onto audio tracks in the DAW. You'll need an audio interface with enough inputs to handle all of the tracks that you want to record. If you get one with some kind of 'Cue mixing' feature built-in, then you can set up rough mixes of the outputs of the hardware devices in your speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

do as above or use the Volcas built in sequencer and record into your computer, then chop up into loops and rearrange as you please.

or record different variations of drum hits, then load those into a vst sampler/drum machine.

Advertisement