Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving part time job for JobBridge Internship

Options
  • 27-11-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

New here! Just have a quick query and wondering if anyone can help me out! :)

I was recently offered the chance of an internship via JobBridge. The internship is a great opportunity for me and will help me get experience in an area I'm very interested in pursuing a career in, and will be putting my degree to good use! So I really didn't want to turn it down!

Now, I'm currently employed on a part time basis and have been claiming casual job seekers allowance, I was just wondering whether the fact that I have to give up my current job in order to begin the internship will have an effect on my claim? Will I be able to be transferred to a normal JSA claim automatically, where I just collect at post office each week or will they cut me off for a period for leaving my job?

I was in my local office today and asked about this and she just shrugged and said 'It's your own decision!' :/:confused:

Would love some clarification on this, as I don't want to miss out on this opportunity but I also need money to survive for duration of internship!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dscott

Hi there new to this just wondering If you got any clarification on this matter??

Iam in the exact same situation myself??

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Quit Job = No Dole :-(

Get fired = Dole :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 OwlGirl

I'm going up to my Local Welfare Office start of next week DScott to try get something sorted, my internship starts on the 8th! :O Just hoping they understand I'm only leaving my job to take on this opportunity to hopefully get a career out of it! :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

To be eligible for Jobsbridge, you must currently be in receipt of a 'live claim'

I doubt working part time/casual and getting paid Jobseekers for the other days is regarded as a 'live claim' is it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

And you have to have been claiming for three months at least.

Did you check the FAQ's OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

danjo-xx wrote: »
    To be eligible for Jobsbridge, you must currently be in receipt of a 'live claim'

I doubt working part time/casual and getting paid Jobseekers for the other days is regarded as a 'live claim' is it!

She would be eligible based on a casual JSA claim, depending on how long she has been claiming it for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 OwlGirl

Thanks for replies, when I was offered the internship I went to check my eligibility with the Social Welfare and I was eligible but I was 20 days short of the 78 days claim needed, thankfully the company were willing to wait until I was eligible (stary of January). Getting Jobbridge forms this w/e as I've been training so hopefully Social understand situation when I go see them again and something can be sorted

Advertisement