Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Potential by City at Entry Level

Options
  • 27-11-2013 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

So we're coming up to visa time and I notice that there are plenty of young people here weighing up the pros and cons of each Canadian city based on job potential.

If you have any comments, stats, useful articles, ideas, freak-outs, let it out!

If we all pitch in we could get together some good reading for comparing? If you have any info. you'd like to share, post it in any format you like, I'm just trying to be neat!

Vancouver

Article, Sept. 2013 "Job market weakens for B.C's young workers"
    It says employers in Van are reluctant to train young people

Forum Thread, March 2013 "Discussion about Vancouver's job market"
    Lots of Canadians discussing the job market

British Columbia Govt. Statistics, Vancouver Industries
    Job market changes, increases and decreases, trends by area

British Columbia unemployment by area
    Vancouver city's unemployment is 7.1%, higher than the 6.9 BC level

Toronto

Article, October 2013 "Toronto is Canada’s hottest job market – for better or worse "
    It says 1 in 4 jobs created in the last 3 years was in Toronto...

Article, Nov 2013, "Canada’s job numbers don’t tell the real story: Goar"
    The govt. says any jobs lost during the past 5 years have been recovered, though many more part-time and temp. jobs now instead of full-time

Canada General

Article, Sept. 2013 "Canada's timid job market set to suffer 'payback time'
    Economists predict that US unemployment will dip below Canada's in 2014

Other reading that may be of interest

Article, March 2013, "Blame Your Unemployment On the Job Market, Not Universities"
    "Universities didn't cause unemployment; the economy did."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭jiminho

I don't want to sound obnoxious but your post typifies the general consensus in Ireland when emigrating to Canada. Will it be Toronto, Vancouver or somewhere else. Now, it's not always the case but only a fool with no experience would go to Toronto or Vancouver. Small demand and loads of competition in these cities for jobs coupled with high living costs. It's Alberta all the way. I could write a large article on it but in almost every category, Alberta and more specifically Calgary, will trump Toronto and Vancouver. Do some research, it's by far the best place to emigrate to in Canada. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Well, I don't want to sound 'too big for my boots' but I've worked, studied and lived in two other non-English speaking countries, learned their languages fluently and I'm not so clued-out.

I would even lobby the other side - too many young guys heading to Alberta thinking 'oil sands all the way'. They couldn't tell you what the capital of the country is but 'they know better'.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭jiminho

What do you mean obnoxious?

I've lived in 2 other foreign countries and speak 2 other languages fluently. Obnoxious? Really? Go read a book. :)

????? Wha

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

jiminho wrote: »
    I don't want to sound obnoxious but your post typifies the general consensus in Ireland when emigrating to Canada. Will it be Toronto, Vancouver or somewhere else. Now, it's not always the case but only a fool with no experience would go to Toronto or Vancouver. Small demand and loads of competition in these cities for jobs coupled with high living costs. It's Alberta all the way. I could write a large article on it but in almost every category, Alberta and more specifically Calgary, will trump Toronto and Vancouver. Do some research, it's by far the best place to emigrate to in Canada. ;)

When you say that Calgary trumps the other cities, do you mean in every area of work or more specifically trades? Are there many unskilled jobs available in the services industry for example? Also, I was of the impression that it is hard to get around Calgary without having your own car. As I do not have a drivers licence I am more inclined to focus my attention on the bigger cities with good public transportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

So we're coming up to visa time and I notice that there are plenty of young people here weighing up the pros and cons of each Canadian city based on job potential.

If you have any comments, stats, useful articles, ideas, freak-outs, let it out!

If we all pitch in we could get together some good reading for comparing? If you have any info. you'd like to share, post it in any format you like, I'm just trying to be neat!

Vancouver

Article, Sept. 2013 "Job market weakens for B.C's young workers"
    It says employers in Van are reluctant to train young people

Forum Thread, March 2013 "Discussion about Vancouver's job market"
    Lots of Canadians discussing the job market

British Columbia Govt. Statistics, Vancouver Industries
    Job market changes, increases and decreases, trends by area

British Columbia unemployment by area
    Vancouver city's unemployment is 7.1%, higher than the 6.9 BC level

Toronto

Article, October 2013 "Toronto is Canada’s hottest job market – for better or worse "
    It says 1 in 4 jobs created in the last 3 years was in Toronto...

Article, Nov 2013, "Canada’s job numbers don’t tell the real story: Goar"
    The govt. says any jobs lost during the past 5 years have been recovered, though many more part-time and temp. jobs now instead of full-time

Canada General

Article, Sept. 2013 "Canada's timid job market set to suffer 'payback time'
    Economists predict that US unemployment will dip below Canada's in 2014

Other reading that may be of interest

Article, March 2013, "Blame Your Unemployment On the Job Market, Not Universities"
    "Universities didn't cause unemployment; the economy did."

I really don't get your Toronto\Vancouver\Rest of Canada split
    Theres a lot of places in between that you discount
    Like:
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Regina
    Saskatoon
    Edmonton
    Calgary
    Winnipeg

Any ways that's kinda beside the point

The HRSDC has done the legwork on this for you

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/lmi/publications/index.shtml#lmb

Break down by Province

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Let's remain civil and give good advice and constructive criticism, please. *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I really don't get your Toronto\Vancouver\Rest of Canada split
    Theres a lot of places in between that you discount
    Like:
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Regina
    Saskatoon
    Edmonton
    Calgary
    Winnipeg

Any ways that's kinda beside the point

The HRSDC has done the legwork on this for you

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/lmi/publications/index.shtml#lmb

Break down by Province

I understand what you're getting at, the middle and western provinces are growing well and there are plenty of jobs out there. I know the facts. I narrowed the list because it's my choice. If you have a look at the Irish in Vancouver/Toronto pages on Facebook, they're doing just fine. Nobody is saying the word 'booming' but just fine. Actually, Forbes lists Toronto as one of the top 10 fastest growing cities in the world for the next decade. It's really not a sane choice to consider there?

The other side of the story is the belief that Vancouver and Toronto have no jobs and are far more expensive than here. I chat to these people daily on Facebook and that's not the case.

Advertisement