Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week 6 cramping - trying not to worry but could do with reassurance!

Options
  • 27-11-2013 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm a regular boardsie but not quite ready to let the cat out of the bag at this early stage :) Obviously I'm very early on in the pregnancy (barely containing the excitement!) and showing plenty of early symptoms - tender boobs, lots of tiredness, starting to get a lot pickier with my diet, constipation (eugh :o) and so far only a couple of mild nausea-ish waves (hoping that one doesn't change!).

But I also get period-like cramps, nothing stronger than an average Day 1 period cramp and no spotting at all, but I can't help worrying about it. Any reassurance or anyone with similar experiences would be so gratefully received!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Some cramping is normal but the pain is bad, all to one side or accompanied by bleeding do get it seen to. Pregnancy symptoms are a lot like period symptoms at the start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

Hi,
    I found out I was pregnant at 7 weeks after being to and from the doctor with bad cramps for three weeks. Everything was fine though. I know it's hard but do try not to worry too much about it as it is quite common :) congrats by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I was exactly the same..convinced i was having an ectopic pregnancy with the cramps. But all good in the hood, it seems perfectly normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks everyone :) I ended up having a chat to a VHI midwife over the phone as my GP wasn't in surgery yesterday. The midwife asked me a whole rake of questions and at the end of it advised me to be seen within the next six hours. I have to admit, that freaked me out a bit! Within half an hour I was getting an early scan in the Rotunda, such wonderful staff there and so supportive. They said an EP would be a worry with the pain, but we saw the pregnancy sac clear as day, nice healthy yolk sac inside and even the flutterings of a heart beat. It was amazing! Feeling so reassured and happy now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I had period type cramps around the 5-6 week mark. Apparently it's very common as your uterous begins to expand to make room for your precious bundle.

I know it's very hard not to worry about every little ache and pain but as long as the pain isn't sharp and severe and there's no spotting, chances are that everything is fine.

You should consider getting an early scan privately. They cost about €100 and by 6 weeks, there's a good chance you'll see the heartbeat. I found it very reasuring when I had mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Thanks everyone :) I ended up having a chat to a VHI midwife over the phone as my GP wasn't in surgery yesterday. The midwife asked me a whole rake of questions and at the end of it advised me to be seen within the next six hours. I have to admit, that freaked me out a bit! Within half an hour I was getting an early scan in the Rotunda, such wonderful staff there and so supportive. They said an EP would be a worry with the pain, but we saw the pregnancy sac clear as day, nice healthy yolk sac inside and even the flutterings of a heart beat. It was amazing! Feeling so reassured and happy now :)

Glad to hear all is well. TBH the VHI midwife service is a bit of a waste of time in my opinion. They always ask loads of questions and always end up telling you to head to the hospital within 6 hours. It's really just a marketing tool. If you need to ring them in the first place, then just accept that you need to go to the hospital. With pregnancy no one will take the chance over the phone to say you're grand. I rang to check if I could take something for a headache, had to answer thousands of questions to determine why I had a headache and got told based on my answers they couldn't be sure the headache wasn't something more serious so I should go to the hospital within 6 hours :rolleyes: I just went to the chemist, he told me that I was far enough along for paracetamol, took 2 and headache was gone in 10 mins!

Advertisement