Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this CCTV package/company any good?

Options
  • 26-11-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

The parents are interested in installing a CCTV system as they are getting on a bit and would like additional peace of mind I suppose with the spate of burglaries happening in the area and having previously being broke into before. While I understand if a burglar wants to break into your property it as at the very least a deterrent for the foookers.

http://www.equicom.ie/outdoor-cctv-system-with-4-cameras-765-p.asp

I came across this package, have not a splink when it comes to these am afraid, all I know is it has on paper what I am looking for which is HD recording, night vision (though limited), remote access via mobile or laptop etc, large hard drive etc. Like I said on paper sound good but for all I know could be a crock of sheeeite.

So does anyone know this company?, are they reputable?, is the CCTV system any good?, and if not could you recommend one for roughly the same price with ideally 4 cameras.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Hello all,

The parents are interested in installing a CCTV system as they are getting on a bit and would like additional peace of mind I suppose with the spate of burglaries happening in the area and having previously being broke into before. While I understand if a burglar wants to break into your property it as at the very least a deterrent for the foookers.

http://www.equicom.ie/outdoor-cctv-system-with-4-cameras-765-p.asp

I came across this package, have not a splink when it comes to these am afraid, all I know is it has on paper what I am looking for which is HD recording, night vision (though limited), remote access via mobile or laptop etc, large hard drive etc. Like I said on paper sound good but for all I know could be a crock of sheeeite.

So does anyone know this company?, are they reputable?, is the CCTV system any good?, and if not could you recommend one for roughly the same price with ideally 4 cameras.

Many thanks.

My brother in law got a similar system online on domarsolutions for about €350.00 all in ive seen it working and will be investing myself in the near furure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,297 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have been thinking of getting an alarm recently, and am now thinking whether it would be better to buy an alarm or a CCTV system?

This is the sort of price range I am looking to spend too, and this looks a good system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭altor

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have been thinking of getting an alarm recently, and am now thinking whether it would be better to buy an alarm or a CCTV system?

This is the sort of price range I am looking to spend too, and this looks a good system.

A CCTV system is all well and good but an alarm will protect your home better. It is designed to activate when an intruder tries to gain access to your premises. How easy is it for a would be intruder to cover there face and leave with you with no evidence at all. It a different story if the CCTV system is monitored 24 hours a day. I would choose an alarm over CCTV any day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 Alarm first CCTV second.
    I really don't understand that old cliché, if they want to get in they'll get in...
    Most burglars are opportunists . They don't want to rob your house, they just want to rob.
    If you have a working alarm , most will go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,297 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah think if I do go for something, it will be an alarm first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭altor

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah think if I do go for something, it will be an alarm first.

That would be the best thing to do first.
    A CCTV system as a back up is handy to view cameras if the alarm is triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Forgot about this, sorry.

An alarm is of course the best first option but like that if a burglar wants something he will go for it. Something as simple as leaving a back door open for a split second, and bye bye to car keys, hand bags etc while your in the house (I know a number of people this happened to).

But while an alarm serves its purpose of protecting your home the wall mounted box is a deterrent in itself, having an alarm and a CCTV system is even more of a deterrent to them, so for a few hundred quid, if it prevents a burglary which could rid you of thousands aswell as items of sentimental value then it is well worth it, and naturally if you get photage of the toerags, brilliant.

So back to my original question, can someone point me in the direction of a good CCTV system?.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 abc2000

Hi,
    Check my 2 posts for CCTV HD -SDI,
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

The cameras are dead handy to have but are even better when combined with an alarm. There's a crowd in Ballymount called EYEspyCCTV. They'll make you up a system so you can mix and match cameras. I think they do ready made kits as well. Ask them to help set up push notifications so if the alarm is triggered it will alert you and you can pop on and view the cameras

Advertisement