Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity pay as you go meter rates

Options
  • 26-11-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

Feel free to move this to the appropriate forum. Just enquiring if I get a pay as you go meter with airtricty do I pay extra albeit a small ammout compared to receiving a bill every 2 months or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭trudub83

Personally I am paying less but I think that's only because I am conscious that I am running low on 'credit'

I am more inclined to switch the computer off at night, turn lights off when not needed and keep the blasted emersion off for most of the day.

My bill used to be on average 320 per 2 months. Now I am putting approx. €30 a week into it. Which would mean I am paying roughly €260 every 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Thanks for the reply, my point is is the unit price more expensive for the PAYG meter (example "meter rental" ) than paying when the bill comes in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

PAYG meters generally work out more expensive as in one manner or another they add on additional charges (you don't expect them to install and operate the meter for free do you?)

Cabaal wrote: »
    PAYG meters generally work out more expensive as in one manner or another they add on additional charges (you don't expect them to install and operate the meter for free do you?)
    This my point but I couldn't see it in their T&C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Payton wrote: »
    This my point but I couldn't see it in their T&C

It seems you pay 17.25 cents/kWh which is less than the Standard tariff (perhaps it's artificially high) but more than some of the fixed term plans.

http://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/products/current-offers-2/pay-as-you-go-electricity/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Avoid pay as you go meters like the plague.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Avoid pay as you go meters like the plague.

Could you explain why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Payton wrote: »
    Could you explain why?
    Look at this previous thread for the real costs of pre-pay:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86723394

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/?s=meter&x=11&y=10

"The use of prepay meters might encourage people to use less electricity – (especially if they keep running out of credit !) But – in our opinion – for most people it makes more sense to switch to the lowest priced electricity supplier if possible – and then also be pro-active about cutting down your electricity usage rather than getting a prepaid electric meter installed."

People with not much money to begin with in the first place are paying even more.Check out the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Try one of these.

I bought one in Tesco around 18 months ago for 35 euro, saved average 40 euro per bill.

http://theowlireland.com/owl-cm180-micro-energy-monitor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its more expensive... but not as bad as pre pay power the company... thats insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I think it's like all budget schemes there are good points and bad and it will work for some and not for others at the end of the day. My sister pays her road tax every 3 months because she budgets for it that way were I prefer to pay it yearly.
    I needed to know if they did charge extra for the meter which wouldn't be acceptable for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Shark

I'm with Electric Ireland and I have a Pay as you go Gas meter and I have to say it's great. Yes I pay a higher rate tariff and don't benefit from special offers/discounts but there is no rental charge for their equipment and there's the fact that I don't have to dread that bill coming in is a huge plus for me. I'm much more aware of what I'm using and I've had the wall cavity insulated a couple of weeks ago so that will help me save a bit. There was a charge to get it put in as I wasn't in arrears (then they do it for free) I think it was about €110.

Would love to get it in for my electricity but they said I need to go into arrears to get it which I wouldn't like to do. Maybe eventually they will do a Choice one like the gas.

I would advise NOT to go with PrePay Power as they have a daily rental charge for their meters. It works out at about €137 a year just to have their equipment in your house. :eek: That's like 2 months worth of electricity. And that's on top of paying the top rate tariff...Avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This post has been deleted.

I am one of those bashers :)

I have the ESB meter, the rate is slightly less than ESB standard rate.

I dont pay 37c per day for the service, like pre pay power charge

I am not in a contract, like I would be with pre pay power.

All callouts etc related to the service are included, unlike prepay power.

I feel this is balanced.

OP, are you in arrears, if you are Airtricity will install a meter and the charges will be less than if you ask for a meter.

I buy minimum €40 per week in credit but €10 of that goes on my arrears.

Theonly issue I can see is that I cant buy credit online,but with pre pay power you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

a words of warning dont let them change your old pay as go gas metre for new one, because going to have bend your back to top up new pay as go gas metre for rest of your life, mind blowing who ever invent new pay as go gas metre

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I am one of those bashers :)

I have the ESB meter, the rate is slightly less than ESB standard rate.

I dont pay 37c per day for the service, like pre pay power charge

I am not in a contract, like I would be with pre pay power.

All callouts etc related to the service are included, unlike prepay power.

I feel this is balanced.

OP, are you in arrears, if you are Airtricity will install a meter and the charges will be less than if you ask for a meter.

I buy minimum €40 per week in credit but €10 of that goes on my arrears.

Theonly issue I can see is that I cant buy credit online,but with pre pay power you can.

You can buy credit online with Airtricity as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread due to age. Any general utility discussions should be had in the Accommodation & Property forum

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement