Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Dog Treats - Recipes?

Options
  • 26-11-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I love giving my little Oscar (king charles) doggie treats. But I never know if the store bought ones are any good for him, and they're so expensive.

I've been thinking about making some of my own homemade treats over the weekend and see how he likes it. Anyone done this before and want to share some of their recipes or links to useful sites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Slice chicken thinly and slow cook it in a low oven (maybe give it a hot blast first then lower and just cook it low enough to dry it out).

Or using rice flour (or regular depending on what your dog can tolerate..if you feed regular shop bought biscuits than either is better than shop bought anyway).

1 cup rice flour (from health food shop..Doves on is good)
    1/4 cup brown rice flakes or oats.
    1 Tin fish (salmon or tuna) in brine or tomato (you can rinse it if you want first).
    1/2 to 1 cup of water
    1 teaspoon dried or fresh parsley.

Mix altogether to form a dough and roll out and cut into shapes, bake low on 170 for 20 to 30 mins till dried out and hard when you tap them.

You can use other dog safe herbs or honey instead of fish for a sweet treat, or homemade low salt stock instead of water..lots of alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deputy_dog

Thanks a lot Sigma Force, really appreciate your response. I'm going to try the recipe this weekend with the honey, give Oscar a nice sweet treat :)

I will let you know how it goes!

If any other boards user has any recipes to share I would love to hear more ideas!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Slice chicken thinly and slow cook it in a low oven (maybe give it a hot blast first then lower and just cook it low enough to dry it out).

Or using rice flour (or regular depending on what your dog can tolerate..if you feed regular shop bought biscuits than either is better than shop bought anyway).

1 cup rice flour (from health food shop..Doves on is good)
    1/4 cup brown rice flakes or oats.
    1 Tin fish (salmon or tuna) in brine or tomato (you can rinse it if you want first).
    1/2 to 1 cup of water
    1 teaspoon dried or fresh parsley.

Mix altogether to form a dough and roll out and cut into shapes, bake low on 170 for 20 to 30 mins till dried out and hard when you tap them.

You can use other dog safe herbs or honey instead of fish for a sweet treat, or homemade low salt stock instead of water..lots of alternatives.

They sound 'yummy':D How many roughly would that make??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I get large carrots and dig out lots of small deep holes in them and stuff the holes with cheese or pate. They love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Am just trying to think, it makes a good bit. If there small or medium sized cookies you should get at least 20. Depends on the size of the cutter really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Both of mine love carrots. Certainly a cheaper and healthier treat than the manufactured ones. Not too bad at around €2.00 per week for couple of bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Both of mine love carrots. Certainly a cheaper and healthier treat than the manufactured ones. Not too bad at around €2.00 per week for couple of bags.

Mine too; carrots, mangetout, cucumber- I almost never buy her treat-treats, she loves her vegetables! Except green beans; she HATES them.

She's also pretty damn good at eating corn off the cob if you hold it for her! Very neat and precise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 timothy_m

Nice thread. Those treats sound great, I will definitely give them a try too! I like to make simple peanut butter banana biscuits for my dog Holly.

Here's what you need:

- 1 peeled banana
    - 2.5 cup rolled oats
    - 3 tablespoons peanut butter
    - 1 egg, beaten

Mash the banana in a bowl with the oats, peanut butter and egg, and stir them together until well mixed. Then wait 10 minutes for the mixture to cool and roll into 1 teaspoon sized balls on a baking tray (w/ grease proof paper). Press each ball into a 1 inch biscuit and bake for 40 minutes at 150C. Finally leave them to cool, and then let your dog enjoy :)

These biscuits are quick and tasty, they're also gluten free which is great for your dog!

They can also be frozen, which I find very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Because I'v got a cat lying on my arm and partially because I'm too lazy to type it all out again I'm just going to link to a post detailing my tuna and salmon biscuits: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76880327&postcount=25

And a link to the liver cake I once made: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73415702 That was a smelly one though :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

She's also pretty damn good at eating corn off the cob if you hold it for her! Very neat and precise :D

Video please.
    I insist.
    :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

DBB wrote: »
    Video please.
    I insist.
    :-D

I'll try get someone else to video it next time while I hold the cob :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mutley dastardly

I was inspired by this forum to bake some homemade biscuits for my dog Mutley. I came across this video and thought I would share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FqVPW-kNhI

I haven't tried them yet but when I do I will return with an update!

P.S. I also want to see this corn off the cob video

Advertisement