Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it worth servicing your car yourself?

Options
  • 26-11-2013 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I'm curious to know something. Is there any point servicing your own car if it is worth more than a couple thousand? :confused:

I completely understand servicing it if the car if it isn't worth much, but if it is then surely the higher reseale value will outweigh any savings made servicing it yourself?

My understanding is that while you would make short term savings doing it yourself, when you actually go to sell the car on there's going to be little proof that it has been maintained properly as it won't have been serviced in a garage?

I'm probably missing something here. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'm curious to know something. Is there any point servicing your own car if it is worth more than a couple thousand? :confused:

I completely understand servicing it if the car if it isn't worth much, but if it is then surely the higher reseale value will outweigh any savings made servicing it yourself?

My understanding is that while you would make short term savings doing it yourself, when you actually go to sell the car on there's going to be little proof that it has been maintained properly as it won't have been serviced in a garage?

I'm probably missing something here. :D

It depends on how long you plan to keep it.

I do around 40-50000km/year, servicing it myself saves a good bit as i'm doing it every 4-5 months.

Also it's made easier by having a do it yourself garage close by, if I had to do it on the street I probably wouldn't be bothered.

When I sell it, the value will be very low anyway, plan to keep it going for as long as possible, servicing records from a dealership/garage would make very little difference at that stage anyway.

Plus when I have the car up on a ramp I can actually see things myself that need doing.

The down side is that you start to know what every abnormal noise is in the car (something that needs to be replaced soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Self service is really for petrol heads or if car is old.
    If car is newish and resale value (service book stamps) is important then spend the money on a garage. You're essentially paying hundreds of euros for a stamp, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

biko wrote: »
    Self service is really for petrol heads or if car is old.
    If car is newish and resale value (service book stamps) is important then spend the money on a garage. You're essentially paying hundreds of euros for a stamp, but there you go.

I service my E30, Corolla and Omega myself and I keep my own handwritten service notes and invoices for all parts bought.

If I had a newer car I think I would succumb to mail dealership to have the 'modern' service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Self servicing is Ok if you have a good understanding of the workings of a car.

For example I serviced my car last Saturday and spotted it has a flexible brake hose that's perishing. A lot of other checks done too. Servicing isn't just about changing oil and filters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I'd prefer a self serviced car that has receipts for everything done to dealer stamps with no detailed breakdown. Dealers normally 'lose' the receipts for some wooly data protection act reasons (the name of the previous owner is printed sometimes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

I self service my 2011 Passat, I just keep receipts and service notes. But to be fair I plan on keeping it till it disintegrates.

I service the E38 740i as well, but I dont have a choice, it's €920 for an engine service from a BMW main dealer for that.

Honestly I would always say a folder full of dated receipts is worth more to me than a dealer stamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

It does depend on the cars I suppose. Between me and my parents we have 3 cars. Me and my dad would service my car and his car their both back the years 05/07. We would really only do major minor service break pads that kind of stuff. Anything much more than that their just sent to the mechanics. We have a fairly big garage and a good set of tools if you didn't have them it becomes more difficult. My mothers car is 2 years old and we always just get that done in a main dealer to keep service history. We wouldn't really be bothered to service that maybe in a few years depending on how long they keep it.

There is a saving to be made if you actually know what your doing. A basic car service is not that hard to do but if you mess it up it can end up costing you money to put it right.you have to know your limits specially when the car is worth a decent amount of money ie not a few hundredh euro where it's not the end of the world if you damage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rocky wrote: »
    Dealers normally 'lose' the receipts for some wooly data protection act reasons (the name of the previous owner is printed sometimes)

They could easily snip off the owner's name and leave the VIN and registration number there to verify that the invoice relates to that car.

The issue as I see it is that if a dealer has your car in the lot with invoices galore to show a prospective buyer, it simply highlights the lack of paperwork for the other cars in his stock. Unfortunately an awful lot of people believe the salesman when he says that the car was owned by a local and that they did all the servicing so the paperwork isn't needed when you have a slick sales guy prepared to reassure the punters with BS.

Keeping all the paperwork will probably help in a private sales, it makes very little difference in my experience in a trade-in because the dealer will not show the invoices to a prospective buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Worth servicing yourself? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Saves you a fortunes.....engine service, brakes, fluid flush ect can all be done by yourself.

Buy a hynes manual.

If you need the dealer stamp fair enough but keep a good record yourself. If you sell it you can always so it and even take pics to prove any work like discs, pads stuff like that.

How do you know the dealer is doing a proper job? Do it yourself and at least you know its done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Self servicing is Ok if you have a good understanding of the workings of a car.

For example I serviced my car last Saturday and spotted it has a flexible brake hose that's perishing. A lot of other checks done too. Servicing isn't just about changing oil and filters

Fair point

If you get a haynes manual or a factory service manual it should list these checks - the internet is littered with PDF service manuals for most makes and models.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have had a car in the garage maybe three times over the last 10 years or more and only because I either needed a readout, something reset, get something done under warranty (and the last time they said "We have the part, but can you come back tomorrow at 10 to fit it?" to which I replied "just gimme the part, I'll fit it myself"), once because I could NOT get the damn thing going (fuel line, should have found that myself) and to have the clutch done.
    Oh and tires. Can't do those myself!
    I do the usual oil and filter, but also radiators, shocks, brakes, timing belt and water pump, exhaust (fcuking pain without a lift!), electrics and other sundry stuff like that. And a bit of body work, I'm quite dangerous with a sander, a bucket of filler and a spray can.
    I have done some airbag work on a Polo, got the light out at a total cots of E40, how much would VAG have charge me for that job? I reckon E500 would have been cheap.
    I would not be able to do big things like engine or gearbox out, but other than the clutch, have not had the need to do so yet.
    As we speak I'm looking at a rear wheel bearing for the CMax sitting on my desk, since my car sounds like a Lancaster bomber at full tilt, hopefully this will restore aural peace.
    At some time in the future i will have to tackle a slow coolant leak and a whiny turbo.
    As for turbos:
    I'd hesitate to overhaul one myself, some have to be balanced, so I'd remove it, bring it to the shop and fit it back again, to avoid whiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrggrggrgrgrgrgrggngngngngngngnfklkojkljjpBLAM!

One general rule when you do things yourself:
    Every now and then, a job will go horribly wrong and cost you lots of time and money, because chances are you've made it worse.
    Don't worry, in the long run you're quids in by servicing yourself.
    I would not give the main stealer my hard-earned dosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Since the warranty ran out Ive been servicing my car (2010 Yeti) myself.

I purchase the parts from Skoda, use correct oil & document better than the dealers bothered.
    If a future purchaser choses to believe I forged pages & pages of receipts & work documentation, thats his/her issue.

When the time comes for large jobs, I will use a reputable indie mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 czipownik

I do all service and repairs on both of our two cars. Obviously changing tyres is not included:-)

Other than that, regular service (change of filters and liquids), renewals (timing belt, brakes) and repairs (both mechanical and electrics/electronics). I keep all receipts/invoices for the parts and have a detailed record in a form of Excel spreadsheet.

The main thing is that you need to have genuine interest in the automotive technology. Then learn from Haynes books, automotive internet forums and specialized press (e.g. monthly Motor Mechanics from UK based editors).

Then obviously you need a set of tools, which can be built up gradually over the years.

Plan ahead the bigger jobs, especially change of the timing belt / water pump. Study Haynes book relevant chapter or access Autodata or manufacturer's service website (e.g. Peugeot/Citroen allow that even for DIY people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

servicing petrol cars i can do no problem,looking at a cheap diesel car to buy in the next few days only problem is i have absolutely no idea how to service a diesel engine,but i'd nearly take a chance,cant imagine it being hugely difficult or am i wrong???its a 1.8 td mondeo

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    servicing petrol cars i can do no problem,looking at a cheap diesel car to buy in the next few days only problem is i have absolutely no idea how to service a diesel engine,but i'd nearly take a chance,cant imagine it being hugely difficult or am i wrong???its a 1.8 td mondeo

Same as a petrol engine, but you save a lot of work with the ignition system.
    Main difference:
    If she's slow to start in the winter and engulfs the neighbourhood with a thick cloud of smoke, it's time to change the glow plugs.
    One thing is more difficult though. The fuel filter is easy to change, but getting the car going after that is a complete baxtid.
    On my CMax (1.8 TDCI), the mechanic undid the fuel return pipe and attached a pump to it and sucked fuel through that way, otherwise you will have to noodle the battery empty about three times before it starts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Main difference:
    If she's slow to start in the winter and engulfs the neighbourhood with a thick cloud of smoke, it's time to change the glow plugs.
    One thing is more difficult though. The fuel filter is easy to change, but getting the car going after that is a complete baxtid.
    On my CMax (1.8 TDCI), the mechanic undid the fuel return pipe and attached a pump to it and sucked fuel through that way, otherwise you will have to noodle the battery empty about three times before it starts again.

in short what you are saying seems fair enough and straight forward,are the glow plugs changed in the same method as spark plugs???that would be the part that looks like it would catch me most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Massey10

Main difference:
    If you fill the fuel filter first you should have no problem

Massey10 wrote: »
    If you fill the fuel filter first you should have no problem

AFAIK if there's no pump built in, your only option is a vacuum pump otherwise you'll be turning it over until the cows come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I get the main dealer to do a basic service for a fixed price of 100 or so and then do most of everything else myself to keep costs down while still keeping a book full of stamps and invoices and a good verification of mileage.
    General stuff like discs and pads, filters are pretty straight forward and a fortune can be saved by sourcing at the right price and fitting yourself.
    Even the water pump on my car was a nice diy.

• Advertisement

AFAIK if there's no pump built in, your only option is a vacuum pump otherwise you'll be turning it over until the cows come home.

That. No pump in tank, pump at the front has to draw the fuel all the way and no way to hand prime the system.

Regarding glow plugs, changed very much like sparkers, only a lot less so.

Get a haynes manual and you can do anything,
    I did the head gasket on a first car.A 98 corsa following the steps.
    I wasnt a piece of piss by any means but well doable.
    by the way I swore I'd never do a head gasket ever again :)

Timing belt, water pump and radiator on the MX5 where scary to do, but not too bad. Second time is much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Fair point

If you get a haynes manual or a factory service manual it should list these checks - the internet is littered with PDF service manuals for most makes and models.

I have little faith in self serviced cars tbh. From my time working in the garage I saw too many disasters. I would say we had to fix a self servicing disaster once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I had a fair idea this was what people would say :)

Surely by self servicing and not getting it stamped by a garage though, you're likely going to be reducing the potential resale market?

Most of the resposnses here have been from people who have a fair idea of the workings of a car, or at least have read up and have some knowledge of how to change bits and would fully understand reciepts and invoices being shown to you when buying a car. It's to be expected in a motoring forum.

But I would think that a lot of people buying cars either have limited knowledge other than the basics, or else would feel better knowing that a certified dealer has serviced this car, as opposed to putting their faith in the person selling the car that they are producing the real reciepts and notes from this car and that they have completed each service to the highest standard. People may think that because it has been done by a garage that they have more comback should anything go wrong with the work done on the car.

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I have little faith in self serviced cars tbh. From my time working in the garage I saw too many disasters. I would say we had to fix a self servicing disaster once a month

Not so bad then for the garage and you can charge more now "because you fiddled with it you moron". ;)

It all depends, if I bought a car of a guy who has several cars (preferably a few classics), a big, well-equipped garage, loads of tool and the odd spare bit lying about, and the cars looked tickety-boo, I wouldn't be too worried.
    If I bought a car from a guy who doesn't know the difference between a dipstick and a chopstick, owns a hammer, a vice-grips and rioll of blue baling twine, who proudly proclaims to do all his servicing and where the wheels are fitted the wrong way round, I would indeed run.

I had a fair idea this was what people would say :)

Surely by self servicing and not getting it stamped by a garage though, you're likely going to be reducing the potential resale market?

Most of the resposnses here have been from people who have a fair idea of the workings of a car, or at least have read up and have some knowledge of how to change bits and would fully understand reciepts and invoices being shown to you when buying a car. It's to be expected in a motoring forum.

But I would think that a lot of people buying cars either have limited knowledge other than the basics, or else would feel better knowing that a certified dealer has serviced this car, as opposed to putting their faith in the person selling the car that they are producing the real reciepts and notes from this car and that they have completed each service to the highest standard. People may think that because it has been done by a garage that they have more comback should anything go wrong with the work done on the car.

On the resale value:
    From a certain point it doesn't matter so much anymore, you wouldn't expect a 10 year+ old banger to be serviced by the main stealer, who would then charge the weight of the car in gold bars.
    As for certified, yes, I have seen many mechanics that are certifiable.
    As for comeback, if you buy private, you have no comeback.
    For people who are unsure, it is better to go to the main dealer and pay a 20% premium on the price of the car and at least a 50% (sometimes multiple that) premium on servicing costs.
    It's not for everyone, I would not expect my mom to service her own car and this brings me to my main argument:

ROBBERY:

My mother brought her car to a garage, front brake pads where worn and grinding.
    I had a quick look at the brakes, they looked good, there was no vibration, no lip on the disk inside or out, no weeping at the back, only pads worn.
    I was only at home for three days, so we brought the car to the garage, because I did not have the parts, the time or the tools to tackle this job.
    Just bring it to the garage, be grand she said.
    The result?
    700 FCUKING EURO
    The bastards charged her seven hundred fcuking Euro!!!!!!
    Why?
    Because they changed disks and pads at the front, drums, shoes and hydraulic cylinders at the back.
    NONE of which, bar front pads, had to be changed.
    Had I done the job, it would have cost me no more than €50.
    Had I done what the garage did, I could have done it for within €200.
    Some garages are gangsters and thieves who prey on the vulnerable and stealing (yes, stealing) that much money from an OAP is disgusting.
    Garages don't listen to the customer, do what they want, don't give estimates, charge what they want, replace parts old for old and charge for new, in short a lot of them are thieving bastards...

edit:
    ...that I wouldn't trust to open a can of dog food with a pull-tab that was already open.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

Yeah, garages...
    Was quoted in one place 4 hours labour + parts for changing front disks and pads.
    On other occasion was asked if I want to get all 16 spark plugs replaced on my Alfa!? This was one of the main Fiat/Alfa dealers...
    Manuals and sself-service FTW!
    Had mental breakdown few years ago and was advised by shrink to take some time off and do stuff not related to my work. One of the best weeks of my life servicing and learning various parts of my beemer. Cleared my head without any happy pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

I've done my own basic service on a few of my petrol cars. I have bought the parts from a motorfactors and kept the receipts. However one time I was doing the service I accidentally cross threaded the sump nut and had to get a mechanic to fix it - this was a risk which I was prepared to face doing it myself.
    It is worth getting a garage to do a service every second year and get the stamp especially if you plan on reselling the car.

• Advertisement

hertz wrote: »
    I've done my own basic service on a few of my petrol cars. I have bought the parts from a motorfactors and kept the receipts. However one time I was doing the service I accidentally cross threaded the sump nut and had to get a mechanic to fix it - this was a risk which I was prepared to face doing it myself.
    It is worth getting a garage to do a service every second year and get the stamp especially if you plan on reselling the car.

:o me too

Advertisement