Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoting for a plumbing job - what qualifications are recommended?

Options
  • 26-11-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭

When quoting to get an alarm installed you ask if they are NSAI certified.
    When quoting for electrician you ask to get a cert.
    When getting boiler serviced you ask if they are registered installers.

When getting basic plumbing job organised (such as replacing pipes under sink) what qualifications should I ask for to ensure I get a good guy and not a cowboy? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

I have never been asked this question and been in the job 10+years, I am from the north, not the south. Some plumbers are registered to the likes of The Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE) in the UK but it is not required nor a qualification. City and guilds are a basic qualification used here. My dad has been a plumber for now 62 years and has no other qualification than his experience. He's well known, respected and has a good reputation.

I know some people here will jump on the bandwagon of qualification this and that but thats different imo if your working with oil, gas etc. anyone competent person can fix a leaky tap, a drip, change a radiator etc and you will find many people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Cheers, yeah it seems to be less formal than some other trades. Is there anyway to verify insurance details are correct?

I've had a few issues in the past where insurance wasn't up to scratch.

only by asking do they have public liability insurance and showing you their policy, dunno about others but this is not something I carry with me.

edit: in all honesty I'd say thats something to take my word for or find someone else, not being cheeky or meant in a cheeky way but especially if I come recommended then people need to trust that. I have insurance but never been asked for it or to use it. Is there alot more cowboys down the south or something? Id actually be a bit offended if someone asked me these sorts of questions lol sorry

Sparkpea wrote: »
    Id actually be a bit offended if someone asked me these sorts of questions lol sorry

lol why would you be offended? Not all jobs can be based on references so new customers would want some sort of security. :)

me personally because I'm an honest person but understand everyone else isn't! just my opinion anyway :)

• Advertisement

Not to mention if something goes wrong there's no risk of having to lose no-claims bonus on the Home Insurance :)

Advertisement