Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to make it as a game developer.

• 26-11-2013 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have and assignment for college about "The Video Game Industry", and one the point we have to mention is about the career options in the games industry but also how to get started in the industry.

This got me thinking about what is the best way to get into the industry, especially in Ireland. There are plenty of small game studios in Ireland I know but, how many will make it big or continue to be able to create new games.

I mainly want to ask people what their opinions are on the best way to join the games industry and if they have any experience on what has worked or not worked.

Personally I don't have much experience in trying to get into the games industry just yet, but I will be in the upcoming months. Hopefully they will be good ones :) ha, My opinion to making it into the games industry is about having a community of soon to be player for your game. So I think this would be about being on games forums (like the games here on boards) and having a youtube channel or the connection to other well know bloggers and youtubers who might be able to help out.

I wonder, is it fair?? is it fair for people who have a great game idea not getting to show their game or get recognized just because they don't know the right people.

I just want to know what other peoples opinions are on the matter??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It's full of young passionate people, willing to work for nothing (been there done that). So not so good if you have bills to pay, unless you are the boss. Luckily, you can self-publish mobile stuff and be your own boss nowadays.

There are no AAA game studios here, it's all casual games - facebook and mobile stuff. I spent years learning OpenGL and DirectX (in my spare time) but the only place I ever got to use it was in a bank - custom rendering for "business graphics" haha, and gpu computing applied to lattice simulation.

Argh, just ignore me I am cranky and old. I am a hardcore gamer, but none of this mobile or casual stuff interests me at all - so it's hard to be passionate about developing stuff like that. Admittedly, right now I am messing around with Unity3d just like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BolaGaming

srsly78 wrote: »
    It's full of young passionate people, willing to work for nothing (been there done that). So not so good if you have bills to pay, unless you are the boss. Luckily, you can self-publish mobile stuff and be your own boss nowadays.

There are no AAA game studios here, it's all casual games - facebook and mobile stuff. I spent years learning OpenGL and DirectX (in my spare time) but the only place I ever got to use it was in a bank - custom rendering for "business graphics" haha.

Yeah, unfortunately there isn't any AAA game studios here. That is something I hope to change!

Unfortunately the AAA studios treat their staff like dirt, so it wouldn't make things much better! Certain large publishers are notorious...

It's not about fun and games, it's about money!

I suppose I should post at least one positive thing: I worked for a middleware company in Germany writing an API for racing games. This was awesome, and I even got to hang out at race tracks! Still ended up quitting because of the money tho :) In fairness that was because German tax is bruuutal...

So it's a bit of a catch22 - if you actually make it as a game developer you will likely have a killer skillset. This means you can earn megabucks working in finance or wherever, so it's kinda hard to stay as a lowly paid gamedev.

Unfortunately the AAA studios treat their staff like dirt, so it wouldn't make things much better! Certain large publishers are notorious...

It's not about fun and games, it's about money!

I suppose I should post at least one positive thing: I worked for a middleware company in Germany writing an API for racing games. This was awesome, and I even got to hang out at race tracks! Still ended up quitting because of the money tho :) In fairness that was because German tax is bruuutal...

So it's a bit of a catch22 - if you actually make it as a game developer you will likely have a killer skillset. This means you can earn megabucks working in finance or wherever, so it's kinda hard to stay as a lowly paid gamedev.

That sounds like fun. I hope mostly to create a mega games community then mege bucks with my games. Once I can play the bill comfortably then i'm happy :)

Well it's a lot easier to make loads of money first by working for a bank. Then you can just relax and develop your own stuff!

• Advertisement

Well it's a lot easier to make loads of money first by working for a bank. Then you can just relax and develop your own stuff!

That's a good approach possibly... Are now working on your own stuff??

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kyotokid

hmm. I'd say Digit Game Studios are fairly AAA, based in Dublin, well funded with a fairly large team working on this addictive F2P game (Kings of the realm): https://kingsoftherealm.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Kyotokid wrote: »
    hmm. I'd say Digit Game Studios are fairly AAA, based in Dublin, well funded with a fairly large team working on this addictive F2P game (Kings of the realm): https://kingsoftherealm.com/

I was talking to one of the lads there and he got into the game industry by writing game reviews in the 90s whilst working in a blockbuster. He slowly worked up the ladder as a Lead Game Designer, so he writes the story and the bare bones of the game etc. He told me he had no experience in any coding language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Isn't Kings of the Realm 2.5D?
    It doesn't seem much like a 3D game as we know it.
    Seems suitable for facebook/pc strategy.
    Interesting that it is so hard to find a studio making a full on 3D game, give me hope haha
    Maybe the group i am developing with are one of the very few and in some ways i see that as an advantage, in that we may stand out if the quality is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Calling digit AAA is a real push imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's full of young passionate people, willing to work for nothing (been there done that). So not so good if you have bills to pay, unless you are the boss. Luckily, you can self-publish mobile stuff and be your own boss nowadays. ....

Exactly this. Its a bit of a sweat shop industry too, where you work crazy hours often for free. A lot of industries are like this, graphic design, animation, web design, TV. Fine when your young and don't have bills or a life outside of work. But you can only do it so long. It hard to find a position where its sustainable over the long term as a career. If you do then great. But many don't. If you are committed and can be the best person in 1000 applicants, then your probably going to do well in it.

I'm a fan of Thirdwire Games. Been following them for a while.
    The developer of the series[edit]

This series of games is designed by Tsuyoshi Kawahito (known as 'TK'), who was also involved in some of the 1990s best selling PC flight simulators, including European Air War (1998) by MicroProse and Longbow 2 (1997) by Jane's Combat Simulations.

They recently switched from PC games to Mobile as it wasn't economical to continue with the PC games. Such a pity.

Good advice in the above posts.
    I am a fresh fish out of college, involved with an indie group to attempt to become eventually Irelands first home grown AAA company. No easy feat!

I would still be sitting at home working more or less solo if I had not networked so well in college and on facebook after I left.
    My performance in college made me noticed and I was reccommended to the group by people who had worked with me or noticed my work ethic and abilities.

If you are passionate, have good skills in some area/s or great ability to pick up new software, you have a chance.
    After that its getting yourself out there talking to people, making contcts, going to conferences and events, game jams etc.
    And forums like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 maguire658

What college and course did you do

Pulse College, Game development and project management.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Calling digit AAA is a real push imho.

I probably should have wrote 'as close to AAA as we get in Ireland'...experienced team members, well funded and are producing quality output.

Good luck to all you guys, I look forward to seeing an actual playable version of your games running.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Sounds like you'd be more suited to Community Management then, which is all about forming communities around your game(s) and it's company, a role I'm getting to grips with as we speak ;)

I'm reminded of the recent tale of how a youngster made a massive expansion pack/mod for Skyrim as a sort of 'portfolio' to landing a job with that exact company - That's a lot more effort than writing a CV and throwing it into a reception.

Yeah recently I have been thinking that maybe Community Management might be the role for me :)

I have not heard of that tale but I wouldn't be surprised. I believe it is more impotent to show what you can do on your own then saying what you can do for that company.

I have been playing Kings of the Realm since the beta opened :) Brilliant game but as a AAA company it depends what you would class as "AAA" I guess you could class them as a "AAA" irish company if you compair them to other Irish indi companies.
    I got to playtest with them just the other day and they are all such friendly people and I am really excited to see the finished game :)
    Torakx wrote: »
    Good advice in the above posts.
    I am a fresh fish out of college, involved with an indie group to attempt to become eventually Irelands first home grown AAA company. No easy feat!

After that its getting yourself out there talking to people, making contcts, going to conferences and events, game jams etc.
    And forums like this :D

Best of luck with Ireland's first home grown AAA company, I would be glad to help you if you wish. :)

I know how important networking is and I wouldn't have getting to the way I am now without networking. I really believe it's one of the most important things to do!!

Good luck to all you guys, I look forward to seeing an actual playable version of your games running.

You can join the open beta already since the start of November,

I am very active in the chats there so I would be happy to help you and any other members that need any help :) I am Bola in the game btw :)

hope to see you in the game soon :)

BolaGaming wrote: »
    You can join the open beta already since the start of November

Yep, I know. I played it for a weekend when they launched the beta but it was too addictive.

I was referring to the guys who are posting games / talking about making games on this forum :)

Advertisement