Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TrevSmyth147

I fancy Ronnie for a fifth UK title. I watched his semi-final match against Robertson in the Champion of Champions, and he played as well as I've ever seen him play. Brilliant safety, had Robertson tied up in knots in some of the frames, and break building as good as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

whoever beats ding will win it he is playing some stuff, looks like Ken should have to beat Selby in order to qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Ken narrowly loses a too and fro match 6-5 v Astley.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

"World number 99 John Astley shocked former World Champion Ken Doherty with a 6-5 victory in the first round of the williamhill.com UK Championship" - this is hardly a shock?

Irishman David Morris enjoyed a 6-4 victory over Jamie Cope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Ah, I love this time of year for the UK Championship. It gives you an early Christmas feeling and the nod to get the mince pies & cream out.

1pm start for the BBC's coverage, Ronnie centre stage no doubt. :)

Order of play - Saturday 30 November (Matches in Bold are on the TV tables)

09:30
    Ali Carter v Jimmy Robertson
    Zhang Anda v Barry Hawkins

Graeme Dott v Nigel Bond
    Peter Ebdon v David Morris

13:00
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Rhys Clark
    Ding Junhui v Antony Parsons

Gary Wilson v Vinnie Calabrese
    Sean O'Sullivan v Noppon Saengkham
    Xiao Guodong v Jamie O'Neill
    Fergal O'Brien v Mark King
    Michael Holt v Alan McManus
    Paul S Davison v Shaun Murphy

19:00
    Mark Selby v Shane Castle
    Neil Robertson v Dylan Mitchell

Michael White v Marcus Campbell
    Michael Leslie v Liang Wenbo

Glenman wrote: »
    "World number 99 John Astley shocked former World Champion Ken Doherty with a 6-5 victory in the first round of the williamhill.com UK Championship" - this is hardly a shock?

Irishman David Morris enjoyed a 6-4 victory over Jamie Cope.

Great news for David, he's currently out there against Peter Ebdon as I type. If he gets through, I hope his next match is on one of the TV tables. One thing that I did notice though, is that the BBC have him down as being from England on their website.

Hard luck for Ken, but I reckon that will keep him as a constant in the BBC studio with the absence of the jungle man.

• Advertisement

Delighted for David, 6-1!! What a result.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Scott Donaldson looking awesome. Hoping Jimmy can get through today but I doubt he can beat Bingham at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Jimmy was horrendous today, he had so many chances, I felt sorry for him out there and he looked like he was absolutely disgusted with himself. its a pity, but the man will march, i seen a brilliant documentary on him on itv 4 last week, a funny guy

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Just a quick question, Im heading over for Friday match, I might have 2 spare tickets. Do you think I should have a problem getting rid of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Just flicking through the channels on the ole TV there and spotted the snooker on.

Had me thinking, has public interest in the sport dropped due to the match fixing revelations? I never hear anyone mention snooker these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

David Morris leads Mitchell Travis 4-1 in round 3.

Morris wins 6-1, another good win. Will play Stuart Bingham in last 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

David Morris plays Bingham today for a place in the quarter finals.

He won't fear him. Should be a great game.
    Could be o'sullivan in the next round if he wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

quarryman wrote: »
    Just flicking through the channels on the ole TV there and spotted the snooker on.

Had me thinking, has public interest in the sport dropped due to the match fixing revelations? I never hear anyone mention snooker these days.

I think figures remain robust for the World Championships and the Masters but outside of that, it's struggling for sure. How that's fixed is a tough question, and folk will say at least Barry Hearn is trying things, but imo he has made a mess of the UKs, nominally the second biggest event on the calendar. Dont believe any of the changes have worked and agree with Ali Carter's comments, doesn't have the feel of a major tournament.
    That said, if Morris was able to make a run, I might warm to it, but Bingham looks to be well on top unfortunately

Bingham won 6-1.

I watched the O Sullivan v Milkins match, for the 1st 4 frames milkins made one mistake for each frame, and ronnie cleared up. He lead 4 nil in about half an hour. and it was 6 nil in less than an hour and a half in total.

the genius has been back since he won the world championship but i never expected his genius to continue into this season, he was a joy to watch tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

O Sullivan v Bingham was a great match. Pity Ronnie's out but Bingham played really well and deserved the victory. Some great breaks in the match and Ronnie played some unbelievable shots.
    Robertson looks the best of what's left. Only dropped six (?) frames so far in all his matches. I'd say it's his for the taking.
    Wasn't too keen on the four-table format. I think someone mentioned already that it didn't have the feel of a major tournament and the four tables together had the look of a large tourney but not a major championship. Hard to know what they could do to attract more spectators.

Why is this tournament on in the run-up to Christmas exams? I shall have to have a few words with Mr Hearn about his timing.

totally in aggreament with you, i have mock exams on the 11th and 12th, i will faill them because of mr hearne, ronnie was brilliant today, not the ronnie of old when he would of given up near the end, but he fought till the bitter end, and i love him for this, whereas 2 years ago i could of given him a kick in the nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

I guess it was me who said it doesnt have the feel of a major and am still struggling with it, Ronnie's attempt to escape on the snooker on the last red in the final frame was ridiculous, the red should have been easy to hit - maybe even pot - and he barely gets within 6 inches of it!! And then he makes such a big deal out of trying to get the 2 snookers he needed to stay in the match, can't work that out at all.

And now Robertson - who never complains - calls one of the tables a joke and to have such conditions at the second biggest event on the calendar is totally unforgivable, if you're serious about the game how can you let that happen?. Hopefully somebody has informed Barry Hearn who is busy bigging up some pool tournament in Vegas and telling people on twitter who disagree with his opinions to lump it

I guess it was me who said it doesnt have the feel of a major and am still struggling with it, Ronnie's attempt to escape on the snooker on the last red in the final frame was ridiculous, the red should have been easy to hit - maybe even pot - and he barely gets within 6 inches of it!! And then he makes such a big deal out of trying to get the 2 snookers he needed to stay in the match, can't work that out at all.

And now Robertson - who never complains - calls one of the tables a joke and to have such conditions at the second biggest event on the calendar is totally unforgivable, if you're serious about the game how can you let that happen?. Hopefully somebody has informed Barry Hearn who is busy bigging up some pool tournament in Vegas and telling people on twitter who disagree with his opinions to lump it

the ozzy is always complaining about something, remember the toilet breaks a few years ago, even the commentators were complaining about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

I watched the O Sullivan v Milkins match, for the 1st 4 frames milkins made one mistake for each frame, and ronnie cleared up. He lead 4 nil in about half an hour. and it was 6 nil in less than an hour and a half in total.

the genius has been back since he won the world championship but i never expected his genius to continue into this season, he was a joy to watch tonight.

And he's out in the next round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

What a match between Bingham and Robertson. Switched off at 8-4. Gutted for Stu but Robertson is so gutsy. All the way now i think. Not particularly fond of either Walden or Selby but would prefer Walden to win.

What a match between Bingham and Robertson. Switched off at 8-4. Gutted for Stu but Robertson is so gutsy. All the way now i think. Not particularly fond of either Walden or Selby but would prefer Walden to win.

Fantastic game, that's what snooker is all about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

147 alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Brilliant final black from selby,Well done

wtf match am i watchin, its 5-2 where i ;live

ahh damn i missed it, feckin final score

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

The UK, Masters and World Championships are the 'flagship' tournaments in snooker, and I think it's a shame if they get messed with too much - and in this case, I feel Hearn might have crossed a line. I normally enjoy the UKs but from the matches I've seen and from reading a few of the blogs, the play hasn't been great bar one or two excellent matches (which I unfortunately missed!) Do you think the players in the earlier rounds were a bit distracted by the playing conditions? I think Carter was saying there wasn't really enough space to walk around the table and line up your shot properly.

Anyway, let's hope the final is a classic :)

Advertisement