Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity leave

Options
  • 25-11-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am due to go on maternity leave from 13th December, and this is the date I put on my form when applying for maternity benefit.

I have an appointment with my doctor this Friday. If he were to give me a cert to finish up in work, i.e. one that would cover the following two weeks up to the 13th, would this time be counted as sick leave? Or would my maternity leave kick in two weeks early, and I'd be expected back at work two weeks earlier than planned?

If it's relevant, I will be on full pay while on maternity leave, and sick leave is usually paid by my employer as well. However it's private sector rather than public sector, so it's decided on a case-by-case basis.

And another question - my maternity benefit is to be paid directly to my employer. I haven't received any letter confirming that I'll be getting it, or the amount, etc. Should I get a letter, and if so, when?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

veri455 wrote: »
    I am due to go on maternity leave from 13th December, and this is the date I put on my form when applying for maternity benefit.

I have an appointment with my doctor this Friday. If he were to give me a cert to finish up in work, i.e. one that would cover the following two weeks up to the 13th, would this time be counted as sick leave? Or would my maternity leave kick in two weeks early, and I'd be expected back at work two weeks earlier than planned?

If it's relevant, I will be on full pay while on maternity leave, and sick leave is usually paid by my employer as well. However it's private sector rather than public sector, so it's decided on a case-by-case basis.

And another question - my maternity benefit is to be paid directly to my employer. I haven't received any letter confirming that I'll be getting it, or the amount, etc. Should I get a letter, and if so, when?

If your doctor signs you off you would be on sick leave until your mat leave officially starts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I due to finish up on the 13th too with the benefit to be paid to my employer and topped up by them. Got a confirmation of receipt ages ago but no sign of the letter yet, our payroll said I should receive a couple of weeks before I'm due to go on leave. I got it way earlier last time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got the letter 2 weeks after my maternity leave started in Dec 2012 so once you got the confirmation letter do not worry.

Advertisement