Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor Assault Question

Options
  • 25-11-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Evening all, mainly looking for input from any gardai here.
    So I was walking home from work today, along a busy main road a small black car drives up beside me, a scumbag(the passenger) leans out his window and pelts me with a rock!
    The cowards then drive off before I can get the plate number.
    My question is, what can I do in this situation, with regards to self defence particularly.
    And I say minor assault in the title because the rock only hit my chest and I was wearing a fairly thick jacket.
    Thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

tomwalsh wrote: »
    Evening all, mainly looking for input from any gardai here.
    So I was walking home from work today, along a busy main road a small black car drives up beside me, a scumbag(the passenger) leans out his window and pelts me with a rock!
    The cowards then drive off before I can get the plate number.
    My question is, what can I do in this situation, with regards to self defence particularly.
    And I say minor assault in the title because the rock only hit my chest and I was wearing a fairly thick jacket.
    Thanks in advance for all replies.

You could reply with proportionate force if you were in fear that an assault was going to, or in the process of being carried out on you.

Of course if the option to simply step out of the way was possible, this could also be an option for you. But not absolute.

With the facts given, in my opinion if you were to pick up the rock a throw it back, I would believe it would not been seen as self defence.

Best way to deal with these circumstances is to report to AGS and of course if possible try a get the cars reg number. Which may not always be so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tomwalsh

3fullback wrote: »
    You could reply with proportionate force if you were in fear that an assault was going to, or in the process of being carried out on you.

Of course if the option to simply step out of the way was possible, this could also be an option for you. But not absolute.

With the facts given, in my opinion if you were to pick up the rock a throw it back, I would believe it would not been seen as self defence.

Best way to deal with these circumstances is to report to AGS and of course if possible try a get the cars reg number. Which may not always be so easy.

Thanks very much fullback, that's just the kind of answer I was looking for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I would throw the rock back. You would be just returning property to its owner.

I can't do smilies on my phone....

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

TheNog wrote: »
    I would throw the rock back. You would be just returning property to its owner.

I can't do smilies on my phone....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Couple of Halloweens back, i was walking to a mates house with the then missus, all fancy dressed. Walking along a main street and this silver Caddy van slows down coming towards us, and the passenger sticks his body out the window and pelts 2 eggs at us. The first one skimmed off me, but the second hit herself square in the tit.

I saw red, ran at the van (which was on a crawl and only just coming passed us), jump kicked the passenger door, stuck my head in the window and tried to pull yer man out. I'm fairly confident i smelled poo, and they took off at some speed. Left a lovely dent in the door and all.

Not saying that this was the right thing to do (so many things could have gone wrong).

In your case, i would have reported it to the Gardai and give them a description of the car. It could be a well known car, with well known occupants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Report it for information. It's possible that the scrotes on board are doing this regular. I'd imagine that this isn't the first time he / she's done something like that. r

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

shampon wrote: »
    Report it for information. It's possible that the scrotes on board are doing this regular. I'd imagine that this isn't the first time he / she's done something like that. r

and you may not have been the only victim of their shenanigans, so there may already be an incident under investigation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭Banneret

wGbLIWB.png
    any help? lol source was from pooey reddit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Banneret wrote: »
    wGbLIWB.png
    any help? lol source was from pooey reddit.

Your source is a complete and utter clown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭eirebread

Zambia wrote: »
    yeah

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭eirebread

Zambia wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes he is/was. And he cleaned up his act, I may have spoken to him and he wanted to say sorry overall to all and that regarding all that stuff he was 100% joking. He then found out that some took it kinda serious(they knew it was not real/serious but still kinda wanted to see if you get me).

Then anyway, he freaked out and had massive heart/mind/body race and ended up pooing himself in bed.( btw he had to get a teddy bear in bed because he was that freaked out btw )

but yes, overall he wanted to say that he was honestly sorry and had stopped his clowning and trolling around.

Thank You.

Advertisement