Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent standards

Options
  • 25-11-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

Does any know if there are standards for estate agents? I know they now need to have a PSR licence but what does this mean?
    I will be putting an apartment on the market in the new year but I have no confidence in any of the estate agents I have spoken with. While all give the usual sales banter, most seem unable to put anything in writing that is not full of spelling mistakes, factual errors or maths errors.
    Is a basic level of English and Maths not required to be an estate agent? All I have spoken with are Irish so I find it frustrating.
    As an example, an apartment in the neighbouring estate, Grianan Fidh, is on daft but the name is Grainne Fail on the ad. see http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1401560&ea=1&fr=default

I cannot sell it myself as I will be out of the county.
    Does anyone know of a estate agent in south Dublin who proofs reads material, has access to a calculator, and can use it, and listens to the facts?
    Please excuse my spelling mistakes but I am very frustrated and frightened of the future process as I write this.
    Thanks
    Rainer, (a non-native English speaker)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Hi,

Does any know if there are standards for estate agents? I know they now need to have a PSR licence but what does this mean?
    I will be putting an apartment on the market in the new year but I have no confidence in any of the estate agents I have spoken with. While all give the usual sales banter, most seem unable to put anything in writing that is not full of spelling mistakes, factual errors or maths errors.
    Is a basic level of English and Maths not required to be an estate agent? All I have spoken with are Irish so I find it frustrating.
    As an example, an apartment in the neighbouring estate, Grianan Fidh, is on daft but the name is Grainne Fail on the ad. see http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1401560&ea=1&fr=default

I cannot sell it myself as I will be out of the county.
    Does anyone know of a estate agent in south Dublin who proofs reads material, has access to a calculator, and can use it, and listens to the facts?
    Please excuse my spelling mistakes but I am very frustrated and frightened of the future process as I write this.
    Thanks

I wouldn't trust any estate agents in this country. I would be especially wary of Felicty Fox in So. County Dublin. We had a terrible experience with this agency

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

drquirky wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust any estate agents in this country. I would be especially wary of Felicty Fox in So. County Dublin. We had a terrible experience with this agency

I have not been able to deal with her as I am still wating on the call back, since september! But I got the feeling my humble apartment was below their clientele. Again, I would have perfered if they just said they were not interested instead of promising a call back to arrange a visit etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Who have you had out?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    Who have you had out?

So far I have had on site visits and pricing etc from
    Sherry fitz,
    Finnegan,
    Gunne,
    Morrison
    Castle

I have contacted others and I am waiting for call back or information in writing to be sent to me.
    I expected estate agents to be very interested in my business but most seem indifferent, maybe January is too far out of sight for them but this does not account for their inability to spell, add correctly or even get my name correct.
    I have not yet recieved an acceptable, in terms of English, Maths or facts, proposal from any of the above. If they are not capable of selling themselves how can I have confidence in them selling my property?
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cushla1

Hi there,

For what it's worth to you stay well away from castle estate agents. I stupidly give them my hse to sell and it has been the most stressful experience dealing with the most unprofessional company, they have lied and lied through out the whole process, fobbed us off with emergency funerals and very busy meetings!

Since met with the potential buyers who we informed of the lies and they confirmed our thoughts!!!

DO NOT USE CASTLE ESTATES
    So far I have had on site visits and pricing etc from
    Sherry fitz,
    Finnegan,
    Gunne,
    Morrison
    Castle

I have contacted others and I am waiting for call back or information in writing to be sent to me.
    I expected estate agents to be very interested in my business but most seem indifferent, maybe January is too far out of sight for them but this does not account for their inability to spell, add correctly or even get my name correct.
    I have not yet recieved an acceptable, in terms of English, Maths or facts, proposal from any of the above. If they are not capable of selling themselves how can I have confidence in them selling my property?
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 tony peters3

Cushla1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

For what it's worth to you stay well away from castle estate agents. I stupidly give them my hse to sell and it has been the most stressful experience dealing with the most unprofessional company, they have lied and lied through out the whole process, fobbed us off with emergency funerals and very busy meetings!

Since met with the potential buyers who we informed of the lies and they confirmed our thoughts!!!

DO NOT USE CASTLE ESTATES

exactly our thoughts.they are in trouble with this psr crowd already and wil probably be shut down due to the amount of complaints they have gotten.

i rang to complain about them and the guy i spoke to said 'we have had hundreds of similar calls'.
    i asked him why they dont do something about it and he said they are being investigated about 'a number of issues'

STEER CLEAR.

stick with the big companies and more importanatly make sure you get on well with the person you have out.oh and of course that they have a licence :rolleyes:

A relative of mine works in DNG, you could try them also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cushla1

drquirky wrote: »

Stay well away from both Castle agents total liers and con artists! I've never met such a bunch of cowboys, I did meet with lisney and salins before selling and lisney man was obnoxious to deal with and salins got our appointment wrong so I was left waiting until they finally appeared and the hard sell they gave was embarrassing but they told me that they would put the house on the market for 80k lower than everyone else! Ie don't have to work as hard!!

I don't envy you at all!
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

from a buyers perspective, i hate EAs. They lie as if we all believe their crap, always other bidders on the table, they never seem to know much about the houses and punctuality can be desperate. However there are a few nice ones out there that are honest enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Hi,

Thanks

This is the Code of Practice for Estate Agents , published by the Property Services Regulatory Authority .
    http://www.psr.ie/Website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/0/E5CF38D56EB285878025738D004C69C3/$File/Code%20of%20Practice.pdf

From my experience of EA's, few of them seem to have read (or heeded) certain aspects of it !!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Indeed, this regulator has been threatening audits and prosecutions but I have yet to hear anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I worked in an EA's office for about a year. In that time I never once saw a brochure that didn't contain a spelling mistake. It amazed me, and if it was my property I'd be raging as it just goes to show how little they care.

As it's so common I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor in deciding who to go with. It's much more important to feel that you can have a professional relationship with the person. Turning up on time for appointments and returning your calls would be good examples.

It's stunning that even after our bust and so many EAs losing their jobs that the remaining ones are still so shoddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

I worked in an EA's office for about a year. In that time I never once saw a brochure that didn't contain a spelling mistake. It amazed me, and if it was my property I'd be raging as it just goes to show how little they care.

As it's so common I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor in deciding who to go with. It's much more important to feel that you can have a professional relationship with the person. Turning up on time for appointments and returning your calls would be good examples.

It's stunning that even after our bust and so many EAs losing their jobs that the remaining ones are still so shoddy.

there is very little repeat business in the Estate Agency game, most people only buy or sell a house once every 5 or 10 years. If someone decised to use your services to sell a house and afterwards decides not to use your services again its no great loss as it could be a decade before they need your services again.

Not Justifying a lack of professionalism merely suggesting a motivating factor for it. Other professions such as Accountants, Doctors and Lawyers all rely on clients who will bring return business to them. for that reason they must be professional or expect to lose clients.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Valentine1 wrote: »
    there is very little repeat business in the Estate Agency game.

Word of mouth would be an important consideration though

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GemmaB

there is very little repeat business in the Estate Agency game, most people only buy or sell a house once every 5 or 10 years. If someone decised to use your services to sell a house and afterwards decides not to use your services again its no great loss as it could be a decade before they need your services again.

With the internet though, it only takes a second to read up about other people's experiences. For example, the EA we were planning to use was very professional at the viewing and had all the right answers. However after a little bit of research online we stayed well away from that company.

On the other hand, the EA we ended up choosing is fantastic … very quick to update us and has also been really helpful with advice on buying our new house too. I would recommend her to anyone I know thinking of selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

there is very little repeat business in the Estate Agency game, most people only buy or sell a house once every 5 or 10 years.

The same could be said for undertakers, but at least some of them make an effort.

GemmaB wrote: »
    With the internet though, it only takes a second to read up about other people's experiences. For example, the EA we were planning to use was very professional at the viewing and had all the right answers. However after a little bit of research online we stayed well away from that company.

On the other hand, the EA we ended up choosing is fantastic … very quick to update us and has also been really helpful with advice on buying our new house too. I would recommend her to anyone I know thinking of selling.

Do you know many people selling at the moment?

Do you know many people selling at the moment?

Currently I know 2 people planning to sell in the new year and they have already been in touch with our EA. But surely you agree that it's not only about the present? People have very long memories for both good and bad experiences. The particular EA I am dealing with is only in her early 30's and so I can recommend her for at least 30 more years …

Currently I know 2 people planning to sell in the new year and they have already been in touch with our EA. But surely you agree that it's not only about the present? People have very long memories for both good and bad experiences. The particular EA I am dealing with is only in her early 30's and so I can recommend her for at least 30 more years …

I think most EA's careers are shorter than peoples memories. Fair enough you had a great experience and have passed it on but I don't know that many EA's get referred that way.

I think most EA's careers are shorter than peoples memories. Fair enough you had a great experience and have passed it on but I don't know that many EA's get referred that way.

Once an EA always an EA :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You'll find the net is negatively biased though - people will post about bad experiences but not so much about positive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 form

We asked some friends and got recommended O.M.D estates and we found them to be very professional. We called in three other agencies to sell our property in Dublin , inc Sherry fitz, Lisney and Finnegans. Lisney did not show up for the appontiment. Finnegans were lovely and very professional and sherry fitz were kind of smug. The reason we went with O.M.D over Finnegans was mainly because no matter what question we asked and we asked alot , we felt we were being answered honestly and without the usually sales pitch. Derek Mulligan was our agent and he did everything that he had mentioned during the first meeting. He phoned after every viewing, got us to drop the price and then sold our house for more than what we had initially expected. This was nearly two years ago and we have also used him for managing another rental property for us as we have moved down to Kerry.

Advertisement