Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dhcp not working when using homeplugs

Options
  • 24-11-2013 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Have a strange one....
    My main router a Cisco 3925 , looks after my dhcp and routing on my network.
    My main PC and a nas are connected to this.
    I use a linksys wrt54gl with its dhcp disabled to broadcast WiFi around the house, as the WiFi on the Cisco is terrible.

I wanted to be able to connect my ps3 ,upc horizon box and a media player via Ethernet to the network so borrowed a set of homeplugs from a mate.

I have one connected to the Cisco and the other one is downstairs connected to the Linksys.

Initially every thing worked straight away without any problems.
    Smartphones and ps3 connected no problem.

After a day or so anything Connected to the Linksys just dropped and wouldn't connect.
    Restarted both routers and it worked again.

After an hour or so it dropped again.
    I discovered that anything connected to the Linksys wasn't getting an IP.
    I set a static IP on my phone and it has been connected for 12 hours now without a drop in connection.

The PC and nas are still getting an IP directly connected to the Cisco.
    So for some reason it looks like the homeplugs are killing dhcp requests over the network.

Its not a major deal to set a static IP on all devices but it should just work.

Any one any ideas?

Advertisement