Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibruprofen - does it "treat/cure" the pain or just stop it?

Options
  • 24-11-2013 12:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Pain in my back last night and took an ibuprofen which got me thinking...

Is it actually treating the pain or just stopping it hurting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

amdublin wrote: »
    Pain in my back last night and took an ibuprofen which got me thinking...

Is it actually treating the pain or just stopping it hurting?

It's an anti-inflammatory, so it stops the body's natural reaction to something that's gone wrong, like a muscle "strain" that might actually really be a small tear in the muscle. Inflammation occurs because the body directs more blood flow to the area, the walls of the blood vessels become more porous so that cells can escape into the tissues to repair them. All this leads to some swelling, and this on top of the original insult to the tissues leads to pain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thank you for that vorsprung.

Pain gone this morning thankfully!

Advertisement