Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password App

Options
  • 24-11-2013 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Anyone recommend a password keeper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Anyone recommend a password keeper?

Your brain?

There are quite a few security experts that recommend writing down a secure password for reference, using it for several /many places, but changing it regularly across them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

I've been using keepassdroid with the password database stored in a dropbox folder. It means that the keepass database is available and synced automatically to all my machines (android and windows).

Some might consider that a security concern, but the convenience is worth it to me. The way I figure it's much more likely for a website to expose your password (so better to have complex and unique ones) than it is for someone to target and crack my password db.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The best security practice for passwords is use long completely random passwords and have a different one for every site.
    Might get a little difficult to remember your login to anywhere.

There is a really good, highly secure password manager called LastPass. They have plugins for all the major browsers to make it easy to enter your password and have mobile apps if you pay for premium and the plugins help you with generating nice and secure passwords.
    It's secure because all the encryption & decryption happens on your machine by the last pass plugins therefore they never get any information about your passwords. The only thing that lastpass sees/stores is an encrypted blob, so they have no way of knowing your passwords and if they get hacked your passwords are safe (assuming you used a secure password to login to LastPass).

This all make it a little more hassle if your logging into a website from a browser without the plugin, for example Chrome on your phone but it brings a huge amount of security and is very simple for 90% of the time when the browser plugin enters you info for you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

Yeah - unique, long and random (and unfortunately impossible to remember) is the only way to go. So some form of manager is required.

Arstechnica wrote a great article on it a while ago, it's what caused me to change my setup.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/06/the-secret-to-online-safety-lies-random-characters-and-a-password-manager/

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

I will need some form of way to store them as I have a huge amount, don't like keeping the same password and as well as that you can only have a 4 number pin for bank cards. I tried out password keeper on a trial and found it quite good, it's 9.99 per year but just wonder how safe it really is. There is quite a few of them.

• Advertisement

HemmingSay wrote: »
    Yeah - unique, long and random (and unfortunately impossible to remember) is the only way to go. So some form of manager is required.

Arstechnica wrote a great article on it a while ago, it's what caused me to change my setup.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/06/the-secret-to-online-safety-lies-random-characters-and-a-password-manager/

Excellent, going to come back and get this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Excellent, going to come back and get this later.

I've been using dashlane and it syncs passwords between all my devices. There is a months free trial. Its a lifesaver as I would often forget the harder to remember passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What desktop do you use?

If you use OSX, then 1Password is fantastic. Syncs across devices using dropbox.

jester77 wrote: »
    What desktop do you use?

If you use OSX, then 1Password is fantastic. Syncs across devices using dropbox.

Can you get it as an app? Really looking for something that I could access everything from my phone, I use a laptop with Windows 7 and Android phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Another vote for Lastpass, I use it with Dolphinnon my phone, so it auto fills the passwords.

• Advertisement

Another vote for Lastpass, I use it with Dolphinnon my phone, so it auto fills the passwords.

There's two of them in the app store, what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Using Lastpass for a while now and its very handy. Paid for Premium too - $12 - in order to have smart phone integration etc.

I would regularly be logging into sites, such as Logmein, and might be using 1 of 30 logins for differing customers I access and Lastpass just gives me the drop down to ask which account I want to login with.

My tip - put an extremely complex or long password on your Lastpass account and don't ever type it in on a device that you do not trust 100%!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

There's two of them in the app store, what's the difference?

I only see one, unless you mean the Lastpass for Dolphin plugin? You need that for it to work with the Dolphin browser.

Gong to give Lastpass a go, should I set it up on my laptop or my Android device or does it matter? Ya going to create a unique master password using http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/06/the-secret-to-online-safety-lies-random-characters-and-a-password-manager/

Advertisement