Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Courses Advise??

Options
  • 23-11-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am looking for some advise on Online IT Courses. I am a Graduate of Software Development but I have not practised Software Development since leaving Third Level Education, instead taking roles on Support Desks. I am currently working with a Company (over 6 years now) where I work on a rotational basis on a Support Desk and onsite Hardware and Software Installations. However I am looking to improve my IT skills as my current role involves travelling on a weekly basis and working 24/7 oncall. I am trying to get away from this scene as I now have a young family.

So I am looking at online courses for the past 6 months or so that doesnt involve going back to college. I have looked at the Comptia A+ courses but I am interested in a site which i am not sure if I am allowed mention but its www.coursesdirectonline.ie and they have a SQL Databases Course. My Question is how much credibility does this course have. Is it going to benefit me in getting a new role with this Statement of Achievement or is it a waste of time?

Any advise welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

I think you'd probably have been better off spending the last six months covering the main concepts and setting up a test environment at home (for SQL or whatever you are aiming for), instead of just looking at what online course to do.

Also, six months is a long time to be just looking, might want to get a bit more serious about it than that (not judging as I totally understand about life and little ones taking over things).

In your situation, I would decide on the area you want to go into, and get up to speed on it yourself - you are working, have experience and probably just need to demonstrate to people that you are serious about moving into that new area.

First thing to do is pick your area of interest, then go from there.

Advertisement