Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish army

Options
  • 23-11-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Just wondering would having a condition such as ehlers danlos syndrome disqualify me from signing up I've been thinking about going for it after school (although I am determined to take a 1 year break in order to help get me into shape) anyone with any military background answering this would greatly help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Howdy,

I just had a google of it there. Some of it seems harmless but some of it sets alarm bells off.

Muscle fatigue with increased use
    Unstable joints
    Chronic degenerative joint disease
    If you had weak muscle time as a baby then standing, marching etc would get to you.

Actually the more I read, the more likely i think you are not suitable for the role.

I'm not a doctor but as someone who may be in command of someone with EDS, you would be not as useful as someone without it.

I don't want to come across as an asshole here but I doubt you would get in. Sorry man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sorry to be a downer, but the selection process for the PDF is difficult enough for the long-term healthy, let alone anybody living with the permanent results of a degenerative syndrome.

For anybody not familiar -

Quote - ' The outlook for individuals with EDS depends on the type of EDS with which they have been diagnosed. Symptoms vary in severity, even within one sub-type, and the frequency of complications changes on an individual basis. Some individuals have negligible symptoms while others are severely restricted in their daily life. Extreme joint instability, chronic musculoskeletal pain, degenerative joint disease, frequent injuries, and spinal deformities may limit a person's mobility. Severe spinal deformities may affect breathing. In the case of extreme joint instability, dislocations may result from simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or turning a doorknob. Secondary conditions such as autonomic dysfunction or cardiovascular problems, occurring in any type, can affect prognosis and quality of life. Severe mobility-related disability is seen more often in Hypermobility-type than in Classical-type or Vascular-type.

Although all types are potentially life-threatening, the majority of individuals will have a normal lifespan. However, those with blood vessel fragility have a high risk of fatal complications. Arterial rupture is the most common cause of sudden death in EDS. Spontaneous arterial rupture most often occurs in the second or third decade, but can occur at any time. The average life-expectancy for Vascular EDS is 48 years.[31]

EDS is a lifelong condition. Affected individuals may face social obstacles related to their disease on a daily basis. Some people with EDS have reported living with fears of significant and painful ruptures, their condition worsening, becoming unemployed due to physical and emotional burdens, and social stigmatization in general. End Quote.

Sorry.

As far as the British Army is concerned, having written that into the section on basic health, you would not even have had the chance of an introductory chat.

Good man for trying, and hats off to you.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irelandcooll

tac foley wrote: »
    Sorry to be a downer, but the selection process for the PDF is difficult enough for the long-term healthy, let alone anybody living with the permanent results of a degenerative syndrome.

For anybody not familiar -

Quote - ' The outlook for individuals with EDS depends on the type of EDS with which they have been diagnosed. Symptoms vary in severity, even within one sub-type, and the frequency of complications changes on an individual basis. Some individuals have negligible symptoms while others are severely restricted in their daily life. Extreme joint instability, chronic musculoskeletal pain, degenerative joint disease, frequent injuries, and spinal deformities may limit a person's mobility. Severe spinal deformities may affect breathing. In the case of extreme joint instability, dislocations may result from simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or turning a doorknob. Secondary conditions such as autonomic dysfunction or cardiovascular problems, occurring in any type, can affect prognosis and quality of life. Severe mobility-related disability is seen more often in Hypermobility-type than in Classical-type or Vascular-type.

Although all types are potentially life-threatening, the majority of individuals will have a normal lifespan. However, those with blood vessel fragility have a high risk of fatal complications. Arterial rupture is the most common cause of sudden death in EDS. Spontaneous arterial rupture most often occurs in the second or third decade, but can occur at any time. The average life-expectancy for Vascular EDS is 48 years.[31]

EDS is a lifelong condition. Affected individuals may face social obstacles related to their disease on a daily basis. Some people with EDS have reported living with fears of significant and painful ruptures, their condition worsening, becoming unemployed due to physical and emotional burdens, and social stigmatization in general. End Quote.

Sorry.

As far as the British Army is concerned, having written that into the section on basic health, you would not even have had the chance of an introductory chat.

Good man for trying, and hats off to you.

tac

my EDS isn't too bad I often carry heavy baggage around school and over to another school for biology. I haven't had an injury since I was three years old. my heart, veins and arteries are completely fine. also I have another thing called cylic vomiting syndrome but I think I am growing out of it. I hadn't had any case of it since transition year and I am at leaving cert atm and I haven't had a case of it all year. albeit I do take medication for it the night before school I am able to take a break from it doing weekends, mid terms, and even during three month summer holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sir - with respect, you are not reading what I am saying. You have a life-long condition, one that will never go away. You can change no part of it, rather like not being able to change your blood group. Nor can any medication do anything except treat its effects.

I'm not going to say any more, but leave it to those who are in a better position to comment than I am.

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Maybe medical science will come up with something in the future.
    Maybe you could go down the police/intelligence/cyber defense route, one of these days even Irelands going to need its own external intelligence agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Op I've said this many many times on this forum, we're a small country with a very small defence force. Because of this and the high number of applicants the defence forces can and do discount those with any sort of congenital or long term illness.

The reason for this is the limited number of places and the high number of applicants, they can afford to be picky and choose the best people they can find.

This is why some of the illnesses discounted here are permitted in other countries who have much larger armies.

The same applies to An Garda Siochana and Fire Service, anything that requires a high level of fitness, will, in this country not take someone with an illness like yours. Sorry to be so blunt about it but it's the way it is in a small country.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fergie199

The irish army is one of the only employments in Ireland that can discriminate when it comes to accepting applications.

I can inform you that a condition such as your would not be accepted and your application would be rejected. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

fergie199 wrote: »
    The irish army is one of the only employments in Ireland that can discriminate when it comes to accepting applications.

Try getting a job on a building site if you're blind!.

Its not discrimination if the applicant clearly isn't suitable to the job.

Advertisement