Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Nuts for Wood

Options
  • 23-11-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I apologise if this has been asked before. I did a search but I didn't see anything.

I am looking for wood inserts for 6mm bolts for a bed and a crib that I am putting up.

Ideally something like this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/KNOCK-UNHEADED-WOOD-INSERT-M6x13MM-20pcs-/330671681147?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item4cfd916e7b

I know that I could order from the UK but I'd like to get this done this weekend.

I'd use screw in inserts if I could get them (that's what's in now and some are loose).
    I was also considering using anchor bolts if that isn't a completely stupid idea.

Does anyone know where I can get parts like the one above?
    Would you ever use an anchor bolt in furniture?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I bought them a long time ago from Isaac Lord in the UK. To be honest, if you are hoping to attach the bedrail to the bedposts, they are simply not up to the job.
    I've made a few beds and the racking forces will just pull the screw dowel out of the wood. The best ( and only ) way is to use a metal dowel and bolt.
    You can buy them online and I've seen dedicated brass dowels about 25 mm in diameter.
    As a last resort use an ordinary bolt and nut/washer. You have to be careful to mark out the holes in both posts as they need to align precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

recipio wrote: »
    I bought them a long time ago from Isaac Lord in the UK. To be honest, if you are hoping to attach the bedrail to the bedposts, they are simply not up to the job.
    I've made a few beds and the racking forces will just pull the screw dowel out of the wood. The best ( and only ) way is to use a metal dowel and bolt.
    You can buy them online and I've seen dedicated brass dowels about 25 mm in diameter.
    As a last resort use an ordinary bolt and nut/washer. You have to be careful to mark out the holes in both posts as they need to align precisely.
    Thanks a million guys,

Didn't get it done this weekend and will definitely use a metal dowel and bolt. Thanks for the good advice.

Advertisement